Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt John Bourn

mrfrank

Some assistance required: 

I have an original group photo of the officers of 8th Bn North Staffs taken by a photographic studio in Salisbury. This officer is featured in the group and appears to have been the original owner of the photograph as he has signed it to the rear with the comment 'taken at Blurtpore Barracks, Tidworth, Salisbury Plain 6th September 1915'. 

He must have been mistaken with the date as the battalion went out to France on 17th July 1915 so I'm assuming it was taken during  the first half of  that month just prior to departure. 

Looking at the Army Lists, I can't see this officer listed with this battalion. In May 15 he's listed with the 8th LNL and then in Jul 16 he's listed with the 11th NSR. He doesn't go to France with the 8th NSR as his MIC gives a date of entry as Aug 1916. Can anyone shed any light on his movements and as to how he appears on this unit photo? He was subsequently KIA with the 1st NSR on 31Jul17 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. 

Interestingly, Brig-Gen LTC Twyford is also present in the photo with the Bn officers.

For future reference I shall list in full the officers featured shortly. 

He is commissioned without regiment in the Gazette Jan 1915. Then this is cancelled in June 1915. Only for a Sept LG entry to refer back to the original Jan commission as his effective seniority date. Does not mention LNL anywhere. The Sept entry refers to NSR. Still searching..Checking the 8th war Diary to see if he is mentioned seems the way to go.

PS He is on the Menin Gate not Tyne Cot I believe.

edit - Quick look at 8NSR diary shows it is short on detail. He does not appear to be mentioned July-Nov 1915 but then few are.

Edited by Mark1959

Some biographical and service info here:

http://www.bleasdaleparish.co.uk/images/heritage-centre/biographies-ww1/Bourn John.pdf

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

Thanks for all the replies. My mistake - he is indeed commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial.

It would seem that - for whatever reason - shortly after this photograph was taken,  this officer did not leave for France with the battalion and the monthly Army Lists I have looked at do not list him with this battalion. His service record should shed more light on his early service. 

For future reference (and if anyone would like a particular image sending then please PM me) the officers present are:

2nd Lt H Franklin

2nd Lt RP Tulloch

2nd Lt Wilfrid Ault Meir ( KIA - 10Apr18)

2nd Lt Clarence Edward Pickard

Capt EW Reading

Lt HM Hoskins

2nd Lt John Bartholomew Gidley

Lt John Lindon Pearson

2nd Lt John Bourn (KIA - 31Jul17)

2nd Lt E Beebee

Lt Gabriel Robert Ford

Lt Graham Leonard Bayley Lowry

2nd Lt Robert William Whitty Cryan 

Capt Phillip Brodriff Purves

Lt William Henry Lucas ( KIA - 21Jan16)

Lt Alfred Gilmer Lamplugh

2nd Lt John Young Alexander Line (KIA 13Mar16)

2nd Lt Frederick Charles Russon-Bayliss

2nd Lt Frederick George Yardley (KIA - 17Sep15)

2nd Lt ET Lathbury

Capt Reginald Francis Wynne

Capt Harry Stephenson Denton

Capt & Adjt Arthur Christian Stanbridge (KIA - 18Nov16)

Lt Col William Jervis Locker

Brig-Gen Lionel Thomas Campbell Twyford (died 24Aug20)

Maj Cecil Wedgewood (KIA - 03Jul16)

Capt James Carnegy (KIA 01Sep15)

Maj James Jay Blucher Farley

Lt & QM Frank Crewe

Capt Frank Arnold Samuel Gibson

2nd Lt Gilbert Basil Leigh

Lt FH Wolliscroft

2nd Lt R Brook

Edited by mrfrank