Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aircraft colour scheme 20 Squadron 3rd Afghan War

pjwmacro

Grateful for any assistance on when the silver paint scheme was adopted by squadrons in India? When was this adopted by 31 Squadron and when by subsequent squadrons arriving in India?

In particular keen to establish what scheme was in use by 20 Squadron when they were flying from Parachinar in Jul 1919? They flew on the Western Front, I believe with their Bristol Fighters in the standard PC10 brown/khaki scheme. They remained in France at the end of the war and were then shipped to India in May/June 199, establishing initially at Risalapur, and deploying aircraft forward to Parachinar in Jul. So did they adopt the silver scheme before sailing or on arrival in India? Or were they still painted in PC 10 when flying from Parachinar.

I have consulted the 20 Squadron operational record in TNA - and cannot find any help there. Any suggestions welcome!

Regards, Paul

Does this help?

The following is from an article on the Sopwith Snipe in Aeroplane Monthly Nov 1990.

"In the immediate post-war period all Snipes retained their wartime P.C.10 khaki-brown finish...

From 1923 all this changed with the switch to Cellon heat-reflecting aluminium dope...

This was applied to Snipes in Iraq and soon standardized on the home fighter squadrons..."

1 hour ago, poacherbold said:

Does this help?

Thank you poacher - yes I think it does. Although I have yet to see anything conclusive, the indicators are that the Silver colour scheme wasn't adopted until the 1920s. Your quote above is consistent - which would suggest that 20 Squadron's Bristol Fighters were also still in their PC10 finish when they were flying from Parachinar in July 1919.

Regards, Paul

The Cross & Cockade Forum may be able to assist.

10 hours ago, John(txic) said:

The Cross & Cockade Forum may be able to assist.

Thanks John. I`m not n that one - but I`ll investigate.

Airfix magazine articles Bombing Colours and the book of the same name have the RAF going to silver in 1923. They both say the RAF had large stocks of PC 10 on hand and it took until 1923 to use them up.

16 hours ago, James A Pratt III said:

Airfix magazine articles Bombing Colours and the book of the same name have the RAF going to silver in 1923. They both say the RAF had large stocks of PC 10 on hand and it took until 1923 to use them up.

Thanks James, appreciated. Regards, Paul