Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Office policy of recording and reporting casualties

Perth Digger

I have placed this request under Other Chat as it is only partly relevant to the Great War. When the war broke out in 1914 there was no clear policy as to recording and reporting casualties. A policy had to be developed once war was underway. Much of the policy had been agreed by the spring of 1915. What I am seeking is some account of how the Adjutant-General's Office dealt with reporting casualties to NOK during the Boer War. Can anyone please help me with potential sources?

Thanks

Mike

On 11/12/2018 at 09:30, Perth Digger said:

I have placed this request under Other Chat as it is only partly relevant to the Great War. When the war broke out in 1914 there was no clear policy as to recording and reporting casualties. A policy had to be developed once war was underway. Much of the policy had been agreed by the spring of 1915. What I am seeking is some account of how the Adjutant-General's Office dealt with reporting casualties to NOK during the Boer War. Can anyone please help me with potential sources?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

TNA holds Interim Report on Notification of Casualties http://tinyurl.com/ybcalv33. This is dated 1907 but might prove to be useful as a halfway  house so to speak.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thanks, Terry, for this information. It sounds as if some planning had been considered, even if the section of the War Office responsible for casualties in August 1914 had only four staff!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Terry

Just to let you know that I've now got a copy of the Interim Report you told me about. A short document, with recommendations that probably were included in the new Field Regulations in 1909. Thanks again for the link.

Mike

9 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Hi Terry

Just to let you know that I've now got a copy of the Interim Report you told me about. A short document, with recommendations that probably were included in the new Field Regulations in 1909. Thanks again for the link.

Mike

Thanks Mike, happy new year.

TR