Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book 12th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment 1914-1918

REME245

Could anyone with this book please confirm if there are any nominal Roles of soldiers after 1916.   I am looking for a Harry Ashley who I now believe transfered in from a UK based Battalion and served in both Italy and the Western Front.  His army records did not survive.

Edited by REME245

I can only find a MIC for him which infuriatingly does not show (as far as I can see from the preview) which theatre of war he first served in. However it does show two regimental numbers for him. Whether that is any indication of a transfer I do not know.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1064820

Only the Medal Card exists and I dont have his medals so it making the leap from the name to confirm he is the Harry I want is not 100% possible.  The number change as others have said on a general thread about him occured when they changed the numbering system.

My father believes he served in the Gloucester Regiment and was told stories about him serving in Itay and France but he is only shown as serving in the 3/4 Battalion on the Medal Card. He seems to be the only option without a middle name but still trying to tie it down further. Hence the 12th Battalion line of enquiry if someone can help me.  The book is a bit expensive to buy.

I have also e-mailed the Glosters Museum without reply yet.  

Try getting a copy via inter-library loan from your public library. I note that there are two possible titles, but the second won't help as it was published in 1915.

"Bristol's own" : 12th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment 1914-1918 / Dean Marks. 2011.

12th (Service) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment, “Bristol's Own.” Souvenir ... containing 39 illustrations. Compiled and edited by Howard Rankin & Albert G. Wain, etc. Bristol : Colston Publishing Co 1915.

The book has a nominal roll of men who were serving in June 1915 only, which was when the battalion left Bristol bound for further training in Yorkshire.

Nick