Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman victor John orpin

GemmaD

Hi all,

can anyone help with anymore information on:

victor john orpin 16/Feb/1899 - mar-1977 

regiment number R38365 king royal rifle corps. 

Thank you 

No idea. Not familiar with the organisation. Suspect this is a one off.

Always worth doing a web search on someone especially someone with an unusual surname. You can sometimes pick up interesting stuff. Remember you should not always take recollections as gospel. Always try to find supporting primary documentation. For instance, his DoB is 2 days out on this page. His marriage was in 1925 not 1926 according to the registration. 

Given his age he is unlikely to have served abroad prior to 1917. Most people think of the Somme as the great 1916 battle that due to age he almost certainly was not at. 

The top pic appears to show him in hospital blues so he was sick or wounded at some stage.

Edited by Mark1959

For 'church brigade' in that article, I suspect you should read Church Lads' Brigade.

The CLB's cadet force had strong links to the KRRC, including a battalion raised by the CLB, and the CLB cadets were formally affiliated to the KRRC part way through the war.

As the other Mark has said, his fighting at the Somme is more likely to be during the German 1918 Spring Offensives, than the 1916 British campaign.

Mark

Orpin's correct KRRC service number is R/38265, not R/38365.  The medal index card is wrong.

He finished the war as an Acting Corporal with 11/KRRC.

R/38365 was Rfn James L BLAKE, 9/KRRC.

11/KRRC did not form part of the Rhine Army, so Orpin must have been transferred in early 1919.

From Mar 1919 the only KRRC battalions in the Rhine Army were 13/, 18/ and 20/KRRC.

The other Mark is quite correct: he did not marry in 1926, but in Q2 1925.

The studio portrait of Orpin in uniform with Gwendoline presumably dates fairly close to his marriage.

If he was still serving then, or even merely after 1921, there's a fair chance his service record is held by the MOD.  See the entry at the bottom of this page on the Mother Site:  here

Are you related to Orpin?

Mark

13 minutes ago, GemmaD said:

Hi thank you for the information mbrockway. Yes I am related to victor on my mums side 

If you are a direct descendant, then you may be able to get his service record via the Veterans' Agency.  See the link I posted above.

Mark