Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anybody seen a CWGC British headstone like this?

Dazscuba

Looking at the CWGC headstones in the local graveyards and noticed this one below. Now I have a seen thousends and thousands in my time but never like this. 

The only reason I can think is that they buried the gent and then asked for a CWGC headstone. Would not have thought CWGC would have allowed it? 

Many ideas? 

908626B4-B0AD-4656-AD55-1903E2C9CA67.jpeg

9D03C621-C573-4C72-A02D-189A2FCA5435.jpeg

I know in the cemetery where my grand parents are burried that the parish council who have responsibiity for the site, inspected grave stones and any that were considered to be unstable were laid down - families could then arrange for them to be re-instated/repaired etc but at their expense.  My cousins and I had a whip-round to pay for the replacement of a headstone for one of our long-gone ancestors.

I wonder if that is what has happened here although it doesn't explain why the individual appears to have two headstones.   The grave doesn't appear to be looked after on a regular basis so maybe the stone became uneven or fell.  I suggest you contact the CWGC and report the situation so that they can look into it.   I reported a damaged stone to them in a cemetery near Newbury where they only had a few graves so not a site they probably had much to do with and they arranged for maintenace work to be carried out.

Edited by phsvm

No it’s not be erected at all looks brand new but as per CWGC site memo of 2005 which states it should be erected at the foot of the main grave. Obviously not done for some reason 

7D98832D-A2B2-477B-A47B-4BABAF43FF51.png.db8559767a228381074073b9a985c558.png

CWGC website 

are you questioning material or positioning?

there are a few local graves where private headstones are on them, this was relatives decision and upkeep would be down to family. in more recent years its possible that as family have died or moved on, these graves have been neglected and CWGC have taken back over. I have seen a local CWGC van travelling around but only once, compared to France where there are a fleet, I suspect paperwork has not caught up and job not raised to position, on the other hand space might be an issue, Ive see a local one where the new headstone is positioned upright in the plot.

as PHSVM posted, looking at the picture, bearing in mind settlement, (also a local problem to me) , ground condition may have decreed unsafe to place upright, look at others in picture where a lot of work would need to take place to make safe. You might ask H&S, who would worry about condition and safety in a cemetery, ? , in our local cemetery ( the old part) there are 3 or 4 down and outs living amongst the graves and bushes. a bit off putting late at night!

Thanks for the above my next move was to contact CWGC and see if the decision was made for above or just that they have no idea it was like this. 

7D98832D-A2B2-477B-A47B-4BABAF43FF51.png.db8559767a228381074073b9a985c558.png

CWGC website 

• Dazscuba locked this topic