Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying regiment and insignia

George Rayner

This photo was taken in Suffolk by a relative of mine-local photographer. 

Is it the Suffolk Regiment? What is the significance of the shoulder braids? Medal ribbons signifying Boer War? Lower arm stripe is good conduct/service?

Sorry very new to this!!

Villagers.jpg

Suffolk badge looks good for me, I can also see a three tier shoulder title which suggests 4th/5th or 6th battalion, a closer look will confirm (I’m viewing on a phone at present). Can’t see an GC chevrons but can see one L/Cpl chevron. SA medal ribbons on the old sweat. One man appears to be wearing leg protectors of a horseman from probable battalion transport team. Lanyards/braids will have a jack knife attached in top pocket. Young lad at front appears pleased to have himself and his boat and pets in a great photo.

edit, both seated men with tashes are wearing leg protectors.

Edited by jay dubaya

A group of Suffolk villagers. We think in Suffolk Regiment 4/5th Battalion. One older soldier with medal ribbons. One l/cpl. Boots on drivers? Why shoulder braids on two?

Can anybody confirm these thoughts please?

And any other observations to be made?

Date believed early part of WW1

Villagers.jpg

5 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Lincolnshire Yeomanry. Pete.

On balance, I'd tend to think that more likely.

The Lincolnshire Yeomanry were camped at Oakley Park Hoxne for training purposes so that would make sense .

• Admin

I merged the two topics asking the same questions about the same photo 

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

Why shoulder braids on two?

I think what you are referring to are lanyards, these were usually attached to a clasp knife that was kept in the top left pocket. 

Edited by Gardenerbill

Thank you for merging. I may get the hang of this eventually. Lots of questions still to be asked

They are Suffolk Regiment Territorial Force.

Sorry, can't agree on the Suffolks, the badges are definitely Lincolnshire Yeomanry, it's the only cap badge with that shape. Pete.

31 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Sorry, can't agree on the Suffolks, the badges are definitely Lincolnshire Yeomanry, it's the only cap badge with that shape. Pete.

Yes I can see that you are right Pete, good spot. 

4DA2CD88-1E47-4984-9B5A-660821E2B5AA.jpeg

Excellent call Pete, in which case T/Y/LINCOLNSHIRE....have to say I've never seen one of those before. The more look at the two younger fellas seated centre the more I'm inclined to say they're brothers, a great any day.

Some nice shots of Stohwasser gaiters in the front row (the owners of the patent became millionaires) and some of the men are wearing whipcord, or bedford cord riding breeches with their SD jackets.