Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unique solid metal piece found near High Wood - thoughts on what it may be?

Please take a look at this interesting piece of metal found near High Wood. I've attached pictures to show the size. Unfortunately I cannot weigh it, but it is solid metal and quite heavy for its size. It appears to have what may be or at least resembles a hinge along what I would call the "top" of the piece. On what I call the "front," there seem to be two vertical pieces of metal, perhaps for strengthening. Then on the "back," there is a horizontal strip of metal about the same width near the "hinge" at the "top" and then a much narrower horizontal strip (much smaller than what I would call the "hinge" on the top) near the bottom. Based on where it was found, there has been a lot of speculation from people who I've showed it to about what it could be. I am curious if anyone has seen anything like it before or has any thoughts on what it may have been a part of. Hopefully my use of words like "hinge" don't cloud your perceptions, but I am trying to describe the features in terms that, at least visually, seem to reflect what they actually resemble. Thanks for any comments and ideas.

IMG_9165.JPG

IMG_9166.JPG

IMG_9167.JPG

IMG_9168.JPG

IMG_9170.JPG

IMG_9171.JPG

IMG_9172.JPG

IMG_9173.JPG

IMG_9175.JPG

That piece of land has had far more agricultural use than it had as a battlefield. Chances are it's not military at all.

12 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

That piece of land has had far more agricultural use than it had as a battlefield. Chances are it's not military at all.

Yeah, looks like a boat or it could be a boach.

Looks like a rusty rim lock, the dark circle on some shots I see as the keyhole.

I must add it’s way past my bedtime and I’m using borrowed reading glasses so the item may not be as I see it.

It might be worth removing the rust, a dead simple way is to heat it in a woodburner or on a BBQ for 30 minutes then quench it in lots of cold water, the thermal expansion-contraction shakes off the rust. My guess is that it is hinged flap of some sort.