Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the Old Brigade

steve alibone

Hi all, help required please..

i have recently acquired the item below and was hoping to learn as much as possible about it ...

from what i can see it appears to be a list of soldiers of the 51st Royal Field Artillery 1914-1919, but is it a roll of honour for Soldiers Killed in Action or just a list of serving men during the Campaign.

Im  not sure if you can see it but in the bottom right corner above 19, is the name of Sgt W H White ( who appears on the list)....i assume it was he who designed it , and is it a one off or would there have been many printed ?

if i am wrong on any points please advise and any more information would be greatly received.....thank you

war pic.jpg

• Admin

Hi Steve

A quick shufti through CWGC finds some on the list are not casualties, in fact I have yet to find one. So presumably a list of those who served? The fact the author is on the list would support that.

Regards

David

Interesting item. A common factor seems to be they were still serving in A Bty, 51st Brigade RFA in 1919. It certainly has the look of a battery list. Will keep looking.

The War Diary of 51st Brigade RFA gives Major W. F. Dyde M.C. in command of A/51 until March 29, 1919. They were at Ohligs, Germany then and Major C. E. Rickeard assumed command of A/51 when Dyde was demobilized.

Not knowing how many men would have consttuted a Battery, my guess would be that this is the personnel list of the unit on the date of compilation - crossing the Rhine or similar?

9th Division?

Wasn't an artillery battery determined by the number and type of  'guns' first, and consequently the number of gunners  second ?

khaki

Possibly a survivors list of the 'Originals' of 1914 who made it all the way through to the BAOR in 1919?

30 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

Possibly a survivors list of the 'Originals' of 1914 who made it all the way through to the BAOR in 1919?

No, some of the men I looked up only joined A/51 in 1918. As Steven suggested it is the battery composition on a certain date (possibly New Year 1919). One of the men listed returned home at the end of January 1919. Also the 51st Brigade RFA War Diary mentions that one section of each battery was detached on November 17, 1918, prior to joining the BAOR. Therefore A/51 was reduced to its original 4 guns and an establishment of 4 officers, 129 Other Ranks. It took a while to notice but in the laurel wreath at the bottom it does say A and 51.

EDIT: They crossed the Rhine on December 13, 1918

Edited by David Porter
Additional information

1 hour ago, Khaki said:

Wasn't an artillery battery determined by the number and type of  'guns' first, and consequently the number of gunners  second ?

khaki

In the RGA, with its heavy and siege batteries, yes, but the RFA only had 18-pounders and 4.5-inch howitzers, and the numbers were the same: five officers and 194 other ranks.

Ron

thanks gents for your help on this subject......can anyone tell me who and where the modern day equivilant regiment is based .....or if there is a museum for the regiment,,

Having checked, it is 9th (Scottish) Division.

I'm afraid the regimental museum was the Royal Artillery Museum in Woolwich, but that's closed so not sure where you go from here. War Diaries will be at the National Archive.

Might I say, however, what a splendid piece it is.

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

I have just registered.  I have purchased this item also at an antique shop in Morepeth UK  this week,  along with a lovely painting, depicting a sea side war scene with horses and in the distance bombers and ships being torpedoed, done by the same sergt, White entitled,  YEPRES Manin Rd. 1917 signed ( print) Sergt. White A/51 RAF 9th Div Germany 1919.

001.JPG

I don't think it's a seaside, nor are there ships being torpedoed. It's a representation of a battlefield like 3rd Ypres - mud, and lots of it - with tanks stuck in it.

You will notice the shield of the gun carries the thistle badge of the 9th (Scottish) Division.

FFS :blush:

• 2 years later...

I found this in a skip in about 2012 at Windsor Castle and its been hanging on my wall ever since. I was very interested to see this post (pointed out to me by friends on twitter) and was fascinated to see another one on here. I wonder how many were made and how many survived. 

IMG_0408.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mr Brooks and Mr. Alibone,

I am new to the forum and joined upon seeing Mr. Alibone’s post seeking information on Major W. DYDE M.C. Upon joining I found this post of Mr Alibone’s, in which he posted the photograph of the Old Brigade’s end of war honour roll. As I have the same honour roll the two of you have, I was surprised to see them, as my family and I have always wonder if and how many others may be out there. I am curious if either of you two, or any others on here, maybe able to provide me with information or point me into the right direction for information pertaining to the 51st Brigade, RFA?

Thank you in advance,

Michael

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @steve alibone hasn't been on the forum since 2019, and @Eugenie Brooks not since she made that one post. You could try sending a personal message if my tagging of them doesn’t alert them to your post. 
Michelle 

Hello Michelle,

Thank you! Further thank you for the advice and pointing out my error with Eugenie Brooks. I apologize for that mistake. 

Edited by Michael Turner
Reposted my earlier message by mistake instead of my reply