Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of German bullet

My wife was given a bullet that was said to have been removed from her uncle's leg after the end of WW1 (see attachment). I measured it at just under 8mm, so presumably it is a German 7.62mm, although it could be a "friendly fire" British .303. I have looked at ammo illustrations and cannot find any with such a long indent in the bullet itself, or with the tail. I thought that maybe the tail had nothing to do with the bullet, but it seems to screw in and cannot be removed as the end of the bullet seems to have been rolled over to prevent removal. Can anyone give me any information about this item please.

Bullet.jpg

Looks to me like the point of a propelling pencil made from a Mk.VII 303 ball bullet. Some of these were given to troops in 'Mary Tins' as Christmas gifts, though I don't know if they were like this.

I'm afraid that with no rifling marks or other damage, it seems vanishingly improbable that this item could ever have been embedded in anybody's leg.

Edited by MikB

1 hour ago, mike21 said:

My wife was given a bullet that was said to have been removed from her uncle's leg after the end of WW1 (see attachment). I measured it at just under 8mm, so presumably it is a German 7.62mm, although it could be a "friendly fire" British .303. I have looked at ammo illustrations and cannot find any with such a long indent in the bullet itself, or with the tail. I thought that maybe the tail had nothing to do with the bullet, but it seems to screw in and cannot be removed as the end of the bullet seems to have been rolled over to prevent removal. Can anyone give me any information about this item please.

Bullet.jpg

Hi, 

As Mikb has said its a Mk VII bullet made into a propelling pencil, mine has a casing, grip the bullet between thumb and finger and twist the grip ring!  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Trench Art, not linked to the Princess Mary tin. 

The Mary tin pencil used the round nosed bullet as used in the Magazine Lee Enfield. 

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Many thanks, the last thing I expected. My wife was given this in a box by her aunt with the details written on it - both my aunt and my wife have now died so I cannot ask any questions. There is no lead in the "pencil" but it looks as if it would work. Presumably the story was meant to be a joke - I remember the uncle, who was a policeman and had no sign of a limp.