Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers Service No. Prefix

Marigold1

I have a Sapper in the Royal Engineers, David Green, who was with the 23rd Light Railway Company. His service number in December 1918 when he died was WR/383461. He previously held the service number of 255885 (possibly before reorganisation in 1917?). Can anyone tell me the significance of the letters WR in his service number?

Also, if anyone knows anything about where the 23rd Light Railway Coy was operating in France or Flanders or where I might find information about it I would be grateful for any pointers in the right direction. All I have found so far is that the Company was raised at Longmoor and went to France on 20th March 1917.

Marigold

Hi Marigold

The Service Number prefix WR was only used by the Royal Engineers. It stood for Waterways and Railways indicating a mans area of service.

Dave

It was a Light Railway Miscellaneous Trades Coy, so was probably co-located with the Light Railway Workshops.  RE Library have a summary history of the coy from March 1917 to August 1917 in Box 130, nothing at PRO, so possibly at Berguette then after March 1918 at Beaurainville

Julian