Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Lapel / Sweetheart Badge

rolt968

In an ongoing major tidy up I have come across my grandfather's RFC Lapel badge which he gave to my grandmother. It was something of a relief as I thought I might have mislaid it. (As it turns out it was not where I thought it was!) It is also a relief as I had begun to doubt whether it was RFC rather than RAF.

Anyway. It leads me to the problem. As I am getting older and have no close relatives - where does it go after my death (not too soon I hope)?

Firstly I do not want it sold. I suspect that they are relatively common so in itself it will be of no great interest to museum. ( When I was at the RAF Museum at Hendon some years ago I spoke to someone who said that they would like to see it since it could be connected to a particular airman.)

The family photos are to go to a distant relative so I suppose I could add it to them.

I would welcome advice.

I was going to post a photo, but the camera battery was flat! I will post a photo as soon as possible.

RM

I would keep it with the photos you are giving to your distant relative, making sure they know its importance. It's always better to keep things together.

ARABIS.

10 minutes ago, ARABIS said:

I would keep it with the photos you are giving to your distant relative, making sure they know its importance. It's always better to keep things together.

ARABIS.

I agree, as I have done the same with my family pieces.

Thank you,

That makes sense as there will be pictures of my grandfather in uniform. (My avatar is a picture of grandfather who survived WW1 but collapsed and died in his late 40s.)

RM

Edited by rolt968

• 2 months later...

Is this the type of badge you have? My grandfather worked in Botley and Lewis (a jewellers in Reading, Berkshire) prior to and subsequent to serving with 6 Squadron and he had this 'sweetheart' lapel badge made for his fiancee (my grandmother). There is no form of identification on the badge or box.

Steve

RFCBadge.jpg

4 hours ago, Starlight said:

Is this the type of badge you have? My grandfather worked in Botley and Lewis (a jewellers in Reading, Berkshire) prior to and subsequent to serving with 6 Squadron and he had this 'sweetheart' lapel badge made for his fiancee (my grandmother). There is no form of identification on the badge or box.

Steve

RFCBadge.jpg

That's interesting. The colours of mine are the opposite way round: blue wings, white around the RFC. (Also mine isn't in such good condition!)

(I am struggling to get a photo as my camera's autofocus keeps focusing on the background rather than the badge.)

RM