Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three Attacks on the Somme: How Common was it?

Fattyowls

3 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Maybe he hadn't quite been born then Pete?

Just thinking:

Marriages of Samuel Mercer & Sarah in that era suggests a Sarah Jones, with a marriage date of Dec. Qtr 1891.

The census would have been in April  that year.

Surname First name(s)  District Vol Page 

Marriages Dec 1891   (>99%)

Jones Mary Elizabeth  Liverpool 8b204  

Jones Sarah  Liverpool 8b204  

Mercer Samuel  Liverpool 8b204  

Williams Robert  Liverpool 8b204  

Having said that, I can't see a birth for a Joseph Mercer in the Wirral in  or after this date (or before... if you get my drift).

Dai, my friend Mike (an occasional visitor on the forum), sent me some stuff which I sent on to the family. I think it has information about dates of birth and some census records. He also found reports from the local papers of interviews with Joe senior about his time as a POW (he was captured at Oppy Wood in late April 1917) which is what I was really interested in. I have a feeling that there is a mystery in all of this as you are discovering. I'll check Mike's information and get back to you.

Pete.

24 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I'll check Mike's information and get back to you.

Hi Pete,

No need, I was just trying to look for an answer to the puzzle you mentioned regarding his non-appearance 1891.

I'm sure the family will have that information themselves.

25 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Hi Pete,

No need, I was just trying to look for an answer to the puzzle you mentioned regarding his non-appearance 1891.

I'm sure the family will have that information themselves.

Where not finding things on Ancestry is concerned 99 times out of 100 it's operator error with me. I appreciate you looking.

Edited by Fattyowls

10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Billy, what's the source of the text and photo if you don't mind me asking? I'm sure the family will be interested. I've got an 11 year old Joe senior at 5 Falkener Sq. in Higher Bebington in 1901, I don't think I could find him in 1891.

My dad was a good amateur footballer and regaled me many times about how he played for Wirral Schoolboys vs Ellesmere Port Schoolboys, and they had the young Joe Mercer playing for them. This would have been mid to late 20's I would imagine.

The photo is taken from 'Fir-Bob Land' by Allan Alsbury, (still readily available on ebay).

Mercer's Cottage was actually No.32 Village Road in Higher Bebington, and the Mercer's were living there in 1911 (but listed by Ancestry as Morar!) - this is only 100 yards north of Faulkner's Square and 100 yards south of where I was born! (yes, I am a Firbob).

If you want a higher res image and an extract from the book then PM me with an e-mail address.

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

15 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Having said that, I can't see a birth for a Joseph Mercer in the Wirral in  or after this date (or before... if you get my drift).

Born Joseph Powell Jones at Higher Bebington in 3rd qtr 1889 :huh:

BillyH.

12 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Born Joseph Powell Jones at Higher Bebington in 3rd qtr 1889 :huh:

BillyH.

I had suspected that Billy, but hadn't looked any further.

I wasn't sure if that is the level of detail that Pete wanted to go into.

I will, as Robert Robinson would say 'ask the family'. In the meantime I have recommended you both to GHQ for DCMs. The foregoing is above and beyond the call of duty.

Pete.

P.S. I'll drop you a line Billy about the photo and text. I'd also be interested in the firbobs angle. I used to know a guy who was a tarheel but that is a new one on me.

Thanks Ray. That is the 'some stuff by my friend Mike' that I mentioned above. The family were really pleased with it and Dave used it as source material for a radio interview he did with Radio Nottingham during the week leading up to the centenary.

Pete.

I found that census return yesterday.

Two things that I'm not sure about:

1)- Joseph was born in July 1889, yet on the census (April 5/6th 1891) his age is stated as 9 months.

2)- Sarah Jones is married to Charles Jones on Census night, but it seems that she married Samuel Mercer sometime in the last quarter of that year. Did Charles die? Can't find a death for Wirral until the next quarter again. It's only a rough match though:

Deaths Mar 1892   (>99%)
Jones  Charles  32  Wirral  8a 394  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view