Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.W.Bellward

TBee

Hi All.

I am in search of a Ronald Wallis Bellward, details suggest from an entry in 1920 in Lowestoft, he was a 2nd Engineer of steam trawler ex RN,

I am presuming he was in the Royal Navy during the great war, befor his civilian days and on a fishing trawler. 

Any help please.

Recorded as Ronald Wallace Bellward: was in the RNR.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8464405

There's another BT377 record for a Donald Wallace Bellward, same place of birth, previous year, I guess a brother. Must have been fun calling them in for tea ...

Edited by seaJane

Hi Sea Jane. Thank you kindly for the link and very helpful, this is indeed my man, well my friends grandfather, just trying to find out if he had a brother possible from the 1901 census as I cant find Donald on the 1891.

Would it be possible to send me the link to Donald Wallace Bellward service, as I am unable to find it.

Kind regards Tony.

Edited by TBee

Of course: here tis. He was born in 1893 so not on the 1891 census.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7977154

Also Albert Bellward, born Beccles, December 1891.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8515592

sJ

Thank you kindly SJ. Seems like Donald and Ronald are one of the same, but still looking to prove otherwise.

Kind regards and season greetings. Tony

And the same to you. Happy to help.

sJ

22 hours ago, TBee said:

Thank you kindly SJ. Seems like Donald and Ronald are one of the same, but still looking to prove otherwise.

The Merchant Seaman's Medal card seems to be the only record of Donald. I agree. (Capital Ds, Ps and Rs are often confused in transcription.)

Did both his parents survive until the 1911 census? If so what does it say about the number of children they had?

RM

Hi RM.

Thank you for your advise, 1901 census suggest there was not a Donald only Ronald in the family, however was able to find a brother to Ronald which was Albert. Will check on the 1911 at a later date.. regards.

On 13/12/2018 at 11:58, rolt968 said:

Did both his parents survive until the 1911 census? If so what does it say about the number of children they had?

4 hours ago, TBee said:

1901 census suggest there was not a Donald only Ronald in the family, however was able to find a brother to Ronald which was Albert. Will check on the 1911 at a later date..

1911 census probably won’t be much help – Ronald and Albert were almost certainly at sea on the night of the census if my experience of trying to track down East Coast fishermen is anything to go by. Partly it was the ever present economic necessity but some of it was an attitude towards officialdom that seemed to have so many boats out at sea. Most of the Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth deep sea fleet were fishing in the waters around Cornwall and South Wales at this time. Additionally the number of children the parents marriage has produced doesn’t appear to add up

The Royal Naval Reserve records shows Ronald Wallace Bellward as born 16th March 1894 at Beccles and Donald Wallace simply as born 1893. Sounds more likely that it’s the same man and the year of birth for “Donald” has been calculated from an age.

Albert Bellward was born Beccles on the 6th December 1891.

The relevant Civil Registration District at the time was Wangford District, and there is no Donald Bellward registered there.

On the 1911 Census of England and Wales the parents have been married 25 years and have had 14 children, of which 10 were then still alive.

The family consisted of

Father Frederick Bellward

1891 Census, aged 27, Carpenter, born Hardly, Norfolk

1901 Census, aged 35, Journeyman Carpenter, born Hardley, Norfolk

1911 Census, aged 46, Carpenter, born Hardley, Norfolk

Mother Marion Bellward

1891 Census, aged 25, born Beccles

1901 Census, aged 32, born Beccles

1911 Census, aged 44, born Beccles

Children

1.Blanch Ethel B. Woolnough aka Blanche Bellward

Q2 1885 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name missing (Blanch Ethel B. Woolnough)

1891 Census, aged 6, born Beccles (Blanche Bellward)

1901 Census, aged 16, Printers Machine Minder, born Beccles (Blanche Bellward)

1911 Census, married 1907, on census as Blanche Ethel Adcock at Kirkly Run, South Lowestoft.

2.Lilian Maud \ Lilian \ Lily Bellward

Q1 1887 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name Woolnough (Lilian Maud)

1891 Census, aged 4, born Beccles, (Lilian)

1901 Census, aged 14, born Beccles (Lily)

1911 Census, married 1908, on census as Lillian Maud Reeder at Ilketshall St Lawrence, Suffolk

3.Hilda May Bellward

Q1 1889 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name Woolnough (Hilda May)

1891 Census, aged 2, born Beccles (Hilda)

1901 Census, aged 12, born Beccles (Hilda)

Possibly married 1908 but husband not confirmed and no glaringly obvious match on the 1911 census under either possible surname, (Westrope or Chapman)

4.Marion Lizzette Bellward

Q1 1891 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name Woolnough (Marion Lizzette)

1891 Census, aged 4 months (probably!), born Beccles (Marion)

1901 Census, not present with family

1911 Census, aged 21 Printers Machine Hand, born Beccles (Marion)

5.Albert Bellward

Q1 1892 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name Woolnough.

1901 Census, aged 9, born Beccles

1911 Census – probably the A Bellward recorded aboard the Stean Drifter ‘Graceful’, Lowestoft Registry Number LT961. It was then docked in Penzance Harbour. The 18 year old A. Bellward, an unmarried man from Beccles, was employed as a Cook. There is also a 25 year old Third Hand, W. Bellward, born Geldeston, Norfolk, but I don’t think he is a brother.

6.Ronald Wallace Bellward

Q2 1894 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name Woolnough (Ronald Wallace)

1901 Census, aged 7, born Beccles (Ronald)

1911 Census – no obvious match

7.Percival Bellward

Q4 1895 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name Woolnough

Q4 1895 Civil Death Wangford District, aged under 1

8.Millicent Grace Bellward

Q1 1899 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name missing (Millicent Grace)

1901 Census, aged 2, born Beccles (Millicent)

1911 Census, aged 13, born Beccles (Millicent)

9.Frank Francis Bellward

Q3 1902 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name missing (Frank Francis)

1911 Census, aged 7, born Beccles (Frank)

10.Clarice Bellward

Q2 1903 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name “Woolrough”

Q2 1903 Civil Death Wangford District, aged under 1

11.Bernard Berry Bellward

Q2 1906 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name missing (Bernard Berry)

1911 Census, aged 5, born Beccles (Bernard)

12.Frederick W Bellward

Q3 1909 Civil Birth Wangford District, mothers’ maiden name missing (Frederick W)

1911 Census, aged 1, born Beccles (Frederick)

While that leaves you two children short of the 14 children the couple say they have had, (or even three if you discount Blanche), there are at least four additional Bellwards whose births were registered in the Wangford District between 1886 and 1911 and for whom the mothers’ maiden name is missing.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Hello Peter.

Thank you for the large amount of additional details which will prove to be very helpful, I will read more in depth over the Christmas period.

Most of want you have suggested seems to fit in very well. It is extremely helpful and thank you kindly.

Have a good Christmas and a happy new year.

PS, a short story I was told by family members. At some time in his career at Sea, Ronald cut his hands, shortly after he became very ill and his hands started to swell badly.  it was suggested that because they were too far out to sea, the crew captain radioed a shore for some help. A doctor told them to cut each end of Ronald's fingers in order to drain the poisoned hands, which in turn saved his life.

The story came from a family member that asked Ronald why he had the scars on each finger.

If both parents were still alive at the time of the 1911 census, it would say haw many children they had had and how many were still alive. It allows you to check that you have accounted for all the children.

If you have accounted for the correct number without a Donald, then no Donald. 

The number of children born to the parents as shown in the 1911 census is the bane of my existence. It is surprising how many children - even those who survived seem not to be shown living with their parents in any census!

RM