Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do these markings mean on this shell?

Jools mckenna

I know that the 17 is probably the year and "Victor Hartert" is probably the soldier that turned this shell into trench art.

WP_20181205_19_30_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20181205_19_30_41_Pro.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Any idea what y.a.u stands for?

The primer is faced flat and has no cap. I wonder if this was manufactured as a drill round?

No dimensions, but maybe a French 75?

3 hours ago, MikB said:

The primer is faced flat and has no cap. I wonder if this was manufactured as a drill round?

No dimensions, but maybe a French 75?

French 75 would be my bet as well(I haven't put dimensions as the shell has been beaten out of shape but it does roughly measure to 75-80 mm) but it does look like it was fired as it has the typical pitting inside.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:58, Jools mckenna said:

Any idea what y.a.u stands for?

The letters YAU, the N at 6 0'clock position, and the numbers at 3 and 9 o'clock are Russian. The case is a Russian 76.2mm (3-inch), either sold to Japan, or otherwise appropriated by the Imperial Japanese Army. The F and crossed cannons monogram (the monogram for Osaka arsenal) at 12 o'clock indicate (re-)filling and use by the IJA.

The primer might be correct - it looks similar to a German C/12 primer, which is totally featureless, and simply has a thin layer of brass metal over the internal percussion cap.

17 minutes ago, 14276265 said:

The primer might be correct - it looks similar to a German C/12 primer, which is totally featureless, and simply has a thin layer of brass metal over the internal percussion cap.

Your description of the primer is spot on.

WP_20181208_12_12_07_Pro (3).jpg

3 hours ago, 14276265 said:

Well, thanks - we never stop learning here!  Have to say, though, that a blind, flat-bottomed, tapped hole with a necessarily tight depth tolerance looks a needlessly difficult way to make a primer... :blink::D

Edited by MikB