Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Messina Earthquake

kate2013

Hi, I'm researching a relative who joined the Royal Navy in Sept of 1908 as a Stoker. We have a photo of him in uniform, with a group of sailors (of all ranks) and Pope Pius. We think it's in recognition of help given during the Messina earthquake in December 1908.

However, his record shows he was on the Acheron from Sept  '08 till March '09. Then the Duncan from Mar 09 till Sept 09.

The Duncan is the only ship that went there, out of those two. Was the Duncan in Messina in March of 09, helping to clear rubble etc?

I can't find a record for him receiving the Messina medal, but can't understand why he would be in the photo, if he didn't receive one? Can any one shed any light, Any help would be appreciated.

As I recall, DUNCAN brought large numbers of medical staff to the disaster area from British forces hospitals in Malta.

There's a list of naval personnel in receipt of the Messina Earthquake and Italian Red Cross Medals in the back of the book 'Angels in Blue Jackets'. I have a copy, but not to hand; however, if you can let me know his name I'll let you know if it's on the list when I next get to the book.

Or, it's well worth a read if you can persuade your local library to get it on inter library loan.

:)

I'll search the London Gazette.

I have looked at the National Archives Discovery Messina Earthquake medal roll for HMS Duncan [ADM171/61] and SS107756 James Warner is not on it. 

ARABIS.

I have the impression that the Italians had taken back control of recovery operations from the middle of January 1909 and the RN ships had been withdrawn to normal duties. He was drafted into DUNCAN two months later, so no surprise that he did not qualify for the medal.

Thank you, Arabis. It's a mystery, then,

1 minute ago, horatio2 said:

I have the impression that the Italians had taken back control of recovery operations from the middle of January 1909 and the RN ships had been withdrawn to normal duties. He was drafted into DUNCAN two months later, so no surprise that he did not qualify for the medal.

So I wonder why he's in the photo?

Quite often when HM Ships visited the port of Rome (Civitavecchia) a visit to the Vatican was (and still is) arranged for Catholics among the ship's company. Sometimes a papal audience was included. Is the Pope clearly identified in the photograph or are we looking at cardinals hosting the event? Does the Pope not dress in white?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_X#/media/File:Pope_Pius_X_(Retouched).jpg

Edited by horatio2

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2018 at 17:01, horatio2 said:

Quite often when HM Ships visited the port of Rome (Civitavecchia) a visit to the Vatican was (and still is) arranged for Catholics among the ship's company. Sometimes a papal audience was included. Is the Pope clearly identified in the photograph or are we looking at cardinals hosting the event? Does the Pope not dress in white?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_X#/media/File:Pope_Pius_X_(Retouched).jpg

I agree...it's not Pope Pius in the photo.