Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Henry Hayes, cap badge identification

Stephen White

James Henry Hayes is seated in the middle of the photo, he lived until 1954. I am trying to identify the cap badge. Looking at MIC's for James Henry Hayes I have several possibilities, if I remove his middle name or just use an initial "H" there are even more. I can see he is wearing a lanyard and like his two colleagues is wearing what looks like spurs. He was born in Bromyard Herefordshire and lived all his life in Aston Birmingham.

The MIC's for a James Henry Hayes, were for the following, Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters), Labour Corps (formerly of Worcester Regiment), Labour Corps (formerly of Manchester Regiment), Lancashire Fusiliers, ASC, Norfolk Regiment and the RGA. As already mentioned, using an initial or removing it altogether gives loads more possibilities. The closest match I could find was The Sherwood Foresters (as stated above there is a MIC for a James Henry Hayes of that regiment), but the spurs have thrown me and I think I have managed to talk myself out of that idea, also as you can see its rather unclear / blurred.

So are there any suggestions or ideas, from someone with a much keener eye than myself, all suggestions will be gratefully received.

Regards

Steve

7077f2ab-2bc2-4072-978b-9a90e8d8c2a1 (1).jpg

Edited by Stephen White
John wrong name, for soldier, typing error, correct name James.

Worcestershire Regiment Battalion Transport Section.  The pronounced, curved scroll beneath the star is key.

1B25D630-FDC1-43BB-902E-9E34943A372D.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks, my wife has just seen the post and pointed out James has crushed his cap a little on one side, meaning the badge isn't straight. Taking that into account the Worcester badge looks a good match.

Regards

Steve

14 minutes ago, Stephen White said:

Thanks, my wife has just seen the post and pointed out James has crushed his cap a little on one side, meaning the badge isn't straight. Taking that into account the Worcester badge looks a good match.

Regards

Steve

None of the other contender units have a title scroll of such pronounced dimensions, so it seems very likely.

Thank you very for your help with this.

I shall proceed with the Labours Corps (formerly Worcester Regiment) man. 

Regards

Steve