Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Experimental Air Force

WhiteWings

Hi All,

I am trying to find out if such an air force ever existed. My grandfather Len Richardson (#74 RFC) wrote in his diary that he met a Kris Lal, of the Experimental Air Force, but I can find no information on this at all. Kris Lal is not Indra Lal Roy who was killed - Kris was still alive in August of 1918.  I appreciate any and all help!

There was an Experimental Flight within the Central Flying School at Upavon from early 1916, mostly involved with the collection of meteorological data.  There was also an Experimental Station at Orford Ness where trials of weapons and aircraft were carried out from late 1915 until the station was closed in 1919.  Possibly a reference to one of these?

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  I think this must be it - there are a couple of versions of my Grandfather's diary and in some Kris Lal is 'an Indian in the Experimental Air Force' and in others, he is in 'the Indian Experimental Air Force' which did not exist.  Victoria

Not Indra Lal Roy maybe, but could it possibly be his elder brother Poresh/Paresh Lal Roy?

His Wikipedia entry doesn’t mention the RFC/RAF, but he was a RA Lieutenant and there is an AIR76 officer’s file for him.  It is available for download (I haven’t tried).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresh_Lal_Roy

Nothing else for him on airhistory and no casualty form.

I also wondered whether the diarist might have meant the Independent Air Force?  Where was he when he met “Kris Lal?”

Edited by pierssc

There’s a bit in one of the references to the Wikipedia article which states that PL Roy followed his brother into the RAF but was still undergoing training at the end of the war.

“At the same time, Paresh Lal Roy was seeking to follow his younger brother’s lead and join the Royal Air Force. At the end of September, he was transferred home from the HAC to become a cadet in the RAF. He had not qualified by the end of the war and was discharged in early 1919.“

See https://greatwarlondon.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/the-roy-brothers-fighting-for-king-and-emperor/

Doesn’t quite square with your grandfather meeting him in August but I think we may be warm.... might be worth a look at his AIR76 record.  

Edited by pierssc

On 05/12/2018 at 09:06, topgun1918 said:

There was an Experimental Flight within the Central Flying School at Upavon from early 1916, mostly involved with the collection of meteorological data.  There was also an Experimental Station at Orford Ness where trials of weapons and aircraft were carried out from late 1915 until the station was closed in 1919.  Possibly a reference to one of these?

Graeme

My Grand Father was based at there they  did  cloud flying, use of instruments to fly. as well as night flying. Its in his book Joy Sticks and Fiddle Sticks the history of the Flying Kangaroo. LT Frank Briggs. No 80 Squadron

Edited by Andrew Fyfe