Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment Recognition

Can anyone advise the regiment of this horse soldier please. Unfortunately, the original photo is small, and this is the best I can get. My mother-in-law who, unfortunately died last year aged 92, always said this was one of her great uncles, whose surname was Addison. However, our research we have carried out so far, we have found three of her great uncles who were all killed, and they were all foot soldiers and were all privates. We are now wondering (a) is this actually a relative; (b) is this a Great War uniform and soldier and (c) could it be from an earlier conflict, such as the Boer War?

Any information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Horse Soldier.jpg

Looks like a Great War cavalryman, but impossible to say unless there's any way you can zoom in on the cap badge I'm afraid.

There is only one cavalry Cpl Addison in the medal rolls, D/9154 Richard Addison, 1st Dragoon Guards. A high resolution scan of the cap badge and shoulder title may help.

Edited by charlie2

That sword doesn't look like a 1908. Wrong guard and grip for a start.  Looks more like a pattern 1885/90. Any donkey wallopers out there with expert knowledge of what units were still equipped with the old pattern?

R

Greetings from Sherwood Forest.

Sorry that I cant help to put a unit to the soldier in the picture but I can put a pattern to his sword.

It is the 1899 patt Cavalry Troopers sword . This pattern has the grips secured by three large rivets,

these can be seen by looking at the picture under a glass. I remember seeing a picture of a Yeomanry

Trooper with just such a sword in England in 1914.

Old Robin Hood