Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Aero Club Aviator's certificate

BillyH

The above term is used as a separate section of records in 'Ancestry'.

Could one of the experts on the RFC/RAF please advise me what the above certificate actually qualified you for.

Was it more or less a pilots licence?  Example attached below (no research required on this man, I am already happy with that).

BillyH.

gwf.jpg.22c9f02a83dfc1b72ac10855d6d9fcab.jpg

It was a civilian pilot’s licence, but the level of competance that had to be shown was not very great - the aspirant had to demonstrate he could take off, do a few turns, and land in more or less the right place.  

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/online-exhibitions/taking-flight/pathway-to-pilot/royal-aero-club-aviators-certificate.aspx

Though all pre-war and early-war flyers seem to have had them, as it became increasingly irrelevant it seems to have become optional.  The important qualification was to get one’s “Wings”.  

To give an example, my grandfather took his first flight at Castle Bromwich on 26 May 1916 in a Longhorn.  He went solo on 14 June in a Shorthorn after 2 hrs 11 minutes duel.  He took his RAC “ticket” (No.3073) in a 37 minute flight after 52 minutes solo (and three landings).  He got his “Wings” on 19 July after 15 hours 10 minutes solo (and another 10 or so dual) by which time he had had experience flying Avros, FK3s and BE2s.  On 26 July he was in France awaiting posting to a squadron.

I don't have the information to hand. I have come across an early RFC volunteer who a pre-war certificate.

RM

Edited by rolt968