Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Charles Miles The Buffs

Pat Pepper

Please would someone help with information about this soldier. I can only find a regimental roll from 1922 and can't seem to find any other information about him, i.e his service records.

The details I have is Private Charles Miles Born 1888 Pluckley Kent. I have his regimental number as 6278123 The Buffs. However on the regimental roll it gives his regiment as Queens Royal West Sussex.

I have a copy of his marriage certificate from January 1918 in Ticehurst Sussex. He is shown as Private 8th Btn The Buffs. I can't quite make out his regimental number on this I think it is 3298 or 8298.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction please.

There is a MIC for him on Ancestry Regt No L/8928 Cpl, 1914/15 Star, BWM, VM entered France on 17th Jan, 1915 to AR "B" on 10th April, 1919

Julian Thanks very much for that I've searched military records and draft enlistment records. I think I must be doing something wrong. Could you tell what the abbreviations mean please

Ancestry also has him in 1911 Census as a regular soldier in 2nd Bn The buffs serving in Indian and Sinapore

MIC Medal Index Card

BWM British War Medal

VM Victory Medal

AR Army Reserve

Cpl Corporal