Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Welsh 7th Royal Irish Regt Died 4.9.18

Harper

A friend is trying to find out about her grandfather Private John Welsh 7th Royal Irish Regt who died of wounds on 4.9.18 at 62nd CCS in Flanders.

She has his medal card, CWGC details and two items which have been passed down to her.  Photos are attached of a memorial card and a letter from  the Sister in Charge of 62nd CCS.

Can any members supply any information regarding the 7th Royal Irish Regiment at this stage in the 100 Days Battle, or decipher the name of the kind Sister who wrote to his widow?

Many thanks

Harper

Welsh, John Death 19180904 crop.jpg

Welsh, John In Memory crop.jpg

Here are the 7th Battalion's war diaries covering this period, downloadable for a small fee from the National Archives.

Mike

3 hours ago, Harper said:

or decipher the name of the kind Sister who wrote to his widow?

I think I can reasonably confidently say she is L M Clieve

MIC on TNA but lost to Ancestry

And on Scarletfinders

From there I went into the 2nd Army, to 62 CCS at Arneke, OC Lt. Colonel Marrott, RAMC, Sister in charge Miss L. M. Clieve, TFNS. It is an excellent Unit and was very busy indeed. Here I found two Anaesthetists who had just completed their duty had been moved by the Unit to another Army without orders having been issued from this office. I had tea at the Sisters’ Mess, which is a very excellent one. A good many Armstrong Huts were being put up for sleeping accommodation, and a great big hut and ante-room for the Staff. Here the Unit was very full of patients, and there was no doubt they were being very well looked after. There was a fine Operating Theatre with 8 tables in it, and a first rate resuscitation ward. The staff at this Unit is very keen and capable, and the Sisters are certainly doing their best for the patients.

She is Lilian Mary Clieve

You can get her full life on this Ancestry Tree - click 

The tree gives links to her Medal Roll and cites a fair amount about this interesting woman who was born in India in 1882 and died in Sussex in 1964

..and you can download a well written 3 page account of her war service on this Ancestry link - click

She never married

Many thanks for your help regarding Private Welsh and Sister Clieve.

His granddaughter is "... bowled over by the amount of information".

I also loooked up Sister L M Clieve on Lives of The First World War, and there is spme interesting information there.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4946698#timeline

I was surprised that only one person was "Remembering" her.  She must have saved the lives of many men, and their descendents don't know about her.

Thanks again for your help

Harper