Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZ Private John Scott's WW1 wounds

MartySilk

Good afternoon everyone,

I've been researching my great uncle's Private John Scott's service with the New Zealand army during the First World War.

I have found out that he was wounded twice but I cannot find/decipher any information about his injuries in his personal file (attached).

The first time seems to have been at the first Battle of Passchendaele on October 12, 1917.

The second injuries occurred on August 25, 1918 in France. I cannot work out where, but there seems to be some information about his injury which I am unable to decipher in the first entry on page 33 of this document (attached).

I was wondering if anyone could help me work out what happened to him?

I would be very grateful for any advice or assistance.

Kind regards,

Marty

John Scott.pdf

Hi Marty and welcome. The 2nd injury seems to be GSW [gun shot wound] hip L[eft]. T & T [through and through] buttock L[eft]. Excised, sutured and with drain. What page is the 1st injury on please?

OK. On page 8 he was admitted to No 17 CCS on 13/10/17 and then admitted to No 53 General Hospital, Boulogne with GSW cheek. It goes on to list where he was sent in the UK, ending with him being attached strength to NZ Com Depot in Codford on 15/12/17

Hope that helps clear the mist a little ^_^

Page 4 also has it listed (though out of order!) as GSW right cheek, fourth line down, and then line two (admitted to Military Hospital Clapton) as GSW right eye.

No, the first wound was GSW to right cheek (and then at the hospital it says right eye, probably meaning the damage was very close to, or affected the eye).

The second wound was definitely GSW to the buttock. (I'll refrain from any "cheek to cheek" comment!)

Actually, while you guys are here.

My great uncle John's brother Sergeant Charles Scott (surprisingly, also my uncle) was wounded in France on September 21, 1916

On page 5 of the his service file (attached) his wounding is listed in the 7th entry, on page 7 it simply says "Shell Shock".

Then on page 17 under section No.9 it says "Deafness left ear - had operation - ____ "

I wondered if the shell shock was the deafness in his ear or something else. It is possible to find that out?

Kind regards,

Marty

Charles Scott.pdf

I don't think they meant shell shock as the term it was later defined as.. His 21.9.16 wounding (page 5) says Contns? r. foot & back. I assume that to mean contusions on right foot and back, and taking the two terms together, would seem to imply that a shell landed very close to him and the "shock"wave/blast caused contusions on his right foot and back.

16 hours ago, Keith Brannen said:

I don't think they meant shell shock as the term it was later defined as.. His 21.9.16 wounding (page 5) says Contns? r. foot & back. I assume that to mean contusions on right foot and back, and taking the two terms together, would seem to imply that a shell landed very close to him and the "shock"wave/blast caused contusions on his right foot and back.

Thanks very much Keith, very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Marty

16 hours ago, Wendy Macpherson said:

Hi Marty - Welcome to the GWF.

Do you have a photo of either of your great uncles?

The Onward Project is looking for photos of 1st NZEF solders for their 5 book.

Check them out.

http://www.fairdinkumbooks.com/news-and-events

Hi Wendy,

Thanks very much for the welcome.

My great uncles Sgt Charles Scott (No.11/2222), Gunner James Robert Scott (No.11/2224) and Pte John Scott (No.40703) all served on the Western Front in WW1 but unfortunately I have been unable to find any pictures of them in our family.

One problem is that my great-grandmother, their sister, remained in Australia and never went to NZ with them. 

I believe some contact was kept between them after the war. But gradually the families lost contact over the decades. They are all dead now.

So apologies I don't have photos of my great uncles, but would appreciate it if you ever come across any of them to get in touch with me.

Good luck with the Onwards Project!

Kind regards,

Marty