Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this reproduction?

Hello, not a reproduction..

Leather helmet and front plate for officer, spike and base of spike base for private, so mixed up with different pieces,

regards,

Cnock

Einjähriger Freiwillige, I would say (private, later NCO due to become reserve officer, hence the mixture).

AOK4,

all Einjärige Freiwillige helmets  in my possession have another spike and base,

and are not an officer helmet with red and green peak, so what You say is not exclusive

• 2 weeks later...

As a collector of pikelhaubes at first glace it looks good,it appears to be missing the silk part of liner,which suggests it has tore off with age.For my taste theres not enough 100 year old age patina on it for my liking.Its as you may know purporting to be an officers helmet.It would need close inspection from an exspert on ww1 picklehaubes before you spend your money.In germany they are making to this day repro picklehaubes to a high standard,of course they are honest saying they are repro ,but when they get bough t the lines are blared to which ones are ww1 genuine.in finishing insist on exstensive age patination or leave it alone,that would be my advice, james.

i just noticed its purporting to be an officers helmet,chinscales,and officer type liner.The rear spine has the vent ,i was under the impression only the standard soldiers o r s helmet had the vent latch,just a thought.maybe others who know more than me may have other comments on this,James.

17 minutes ago, ireland12345 said:

i just noticed its purporting to be an officers helmet,chinscales,and officer type liner.The rear spine has the vent ,i was under the impression only the standard soldiers o r s helmet had the vent latch,just a thought.maybe others who know more than me may have other comments on this,James.

The vent was taken off the design in about 1915. And when they were reserviced the vents would be soldered shut. Also as said before in the thread the helmet is mixture of different pieces because of the soldiers promotion

Edited by Jools mckenna

Hi,

speaking for myself, I wouldn't buy this helmet, and I heard already enough tales of sellers about 'promotion', etc.

regards,

Cnock

• 1 month later...

Wow, great piece if you ask me! The original leather panels from where the actual “liner” is in great condition!