Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF (RFC/Army) Units/?

jo w

My Grandpa served with the Lincolnshire Yeomanry in Egypt as a signaller. When the rest of the regiment had their horses swapped for machine guns and were sent to France, he stayed in Egypt and was transferred to the newly formed RAF. In his note book, he wrote:

Called to Aboukir May 6th [19]18 for posting. Posted to ARS and attached AOS May 8th. Promoted 2ndAM Oct 1st18. First flight forty minutes, photos of barrage Oct 3rd.

He had just bought himself a camera, which is, I guess, why he was taking photos. I understand that 'AOS' is 'Air Observer School' and that '2nd AM' is Air Mechanic 2nd Class. However, I have been unable to work out what 'ARS' stands for. I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed any light on this for me.

Many thanks.

Jo

Have just looked further: after receiving his transfer papers - presumably to RAF - my Grandpa mentions going to Abbassia for a test - looks like that would be X Engine Repair Depot Abbassia, which would fit perfectly with him going to join the Aircraft Repair Section.

Very many thanks again.

Jo