Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Division, Gassed in Action

Snowyred

Robert Gardner was a young under age boy from Kirkintilloch, Scotland that joined the RND on the 23rd October 1914. Four years on He was part of the Nelson Battalion until it disbanded in Feb 1918, he was then transferred to the 7th entrenching Battalion on the 1st March 1918. Records show he was hospitalised in Rouen General Hospital on the 14th of March 1918 from a gas attack, are there any war diary records stating on what day this occurred, where and with who he was attached. Not asking too much lol. I'm sure there are sleuths out there that will have access to such information. Thank you in advance for any input.

Edited by Snowyred

A signaller, he was drafted from 7th Entrenching Bn to the Signal Section of the Machine Gun Battalion of the RND (probably 223rd MG Coy) on 7 March 1918 and was probably gassed with that unit on 13 March. The 63rd MG Bn war diary records for 13th March: "IN THE LINE. The enemy continued to use gas throughout the night. ... 23 casualties (gas) were reported up to noon." One able seaman of the MG Bn. was killed.

The RND were holding the line on Welsh Ridge in the Flesquieres salient and the RND history records: " ... on March 12th a prolonged gas bombardment of the divisional sector marked the final stage of the enemy's methodical preparation" [for the German assault which took place on 21st - the Spring Offensive, Operation MICHAEL].

Edited by horatio2

If possible could someone post a link for Ancestry ww1 war diaries for Royal Naval Divisions, Nelson Battalion please. Thanks

Hi,

I might have missed it, but for their time in Gallipoli I didn't see a separate diary for Nelson Battalion. They are however mentioned n the 1 Brigade HQ diary which starts here on Ancestry.

Regards

Chris