Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC for Sale

Andrew Smith

If any of you have a spare 3 or 4 hundred thousand plus in your pockets

I'll just get my wallet B)

Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to afford something like this, except for the worry of it's security!

Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to afford something like this, except for the worry of it's security!

I've already thought of that one. I would loan it to the Imperial War Museum North West. :rolleyes:

Did anyone check out the details of the rest of the collection which is up for sale?

Although I personally would not want to go down the road of banning sales like this (see the recent discussion re Canada), I would much rather see VCs go on public display where they can be appreciated by everyone.

Talking some while ago with someone whose family still own a VC I gather that the only sensible option is to keep it in a bank box or similar.

I fear ownership of such an item would simply bring the attendant worries of security.

I have looked up the details of PteTowers in Max Arthur's book on VC winners, I'm sure many of you would be interested so I have typed below the entry from the book.

Unit: 2bn Cameronians

Born: 8/9/97 in Preston. Lancs.

Died: 24/1/77 Preston Royal Infirmary

Cremated: Preston Crem.

The VC was awarded on 6/10/18, for the following.

When 5 runners failed to deliver an important message through heavy fire at Mericourt, France, he volunteered to make another attempt despite being aware of the fate of those who had gone before him. As soon as he started out he came under heavy fire, but dodged from cover to cover and eventually delivered the message.

Towers said of his actions “We were young men, old before our time….I had been in worse situations than that before and no medals were awarded, but that’s how it was."

Pte. Towers died in Preston Royal Infirmary yet his VC is up for auction in Sydney Australia. I wonder how it ended up half way across the world.

If it was my GF (KIA 1917) I wouldn't let it out of my sight

Anthonyl