Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

ss002d6252

Anyone going to Kew who I could ask a favour of ?

ss002d6252

I have come across a N/A file which I think may be of interest to a little project.

PIN 14/35  - 'Soldiers Awards Manual'

The problem is that it isn't digitised and I know nothing of the number of pages or actual content.

Would someone be able to take a look at it and advise on the number of pages etc and I can then look at the feasibility of having it copied, if viable. If some can look then would they be able to get a copy of the content list of the book ?

Any help would be most appreciated ! Unfortunately Kew is too far away for me to reasonably get to.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

David_Underdown

Did you look at the series level description: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11527? I suspect there's a lot in there that you would find of interest.  Are you also aware of the Men, Women and Care project being run by the University of Leeds https://menwomenandcare.leeds.ac.uk/welcome-to-the-men-women-and-care-blog/?

ss002d6252
4 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

Did you look at the series level description: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11527? I suspect there's a lot in there that you would find of interest.  Are you also aware of the Men, Women and Care project being run by the University of Leeds https://menwomenandcare.leeds.ac.uk/welcome-to-the-men-women-and-care-blog/?

Thanks David - just trying to pick my battles with the set at the moment (I too suspect that the whole series will probably contain useful information).

I wasn't aware of that project, I'll take a look to see if there's anything which may assist. At the moment I'm more interested in the administrative side of how the pension process but anything else may be of assistance.

Craig

voltaire60

Craig-    Had a look at the volume at TNA.  The following might help:

The volume is octavo (normal book size) and is numbered to 168 pages.  Pages 158-168 are a quite detailed and useful index.

The full title of the volume is:

MINISTRY OF PENSIONS

SOLDIERS' AWARDS BRANCH

The Soldiers' Awards Manual

Second issue. Revised to 15th July 1921

Issued from Millbank House

Printed at top of titlepage:  Confidential. For Use within the Ministry only

The regulations are detailed but thorough. There are 3 leaves of amendments at the end., the latest of which is Feb-Mar 1926

Now, there is good news and bad news  for you:

1) GOOD NEWS        Looks exactly the sort of stuff you like. Well set out by paragraphs, with Contents List at front and index at end.

2)   BAD NEWS.  A large number of the pages have tipped-in printed amendment slips, sometimes 2 or 3 for the same paragraph-one on top of the other. One page had 5 tipped in slips for the same things. There are a number of ink cancellations of paragraphs and pages. Some pages have full-page replacements pasted or tipped in over the original.

This is a well-maintained office copy, worn and has been extensively used.  I would caution that it would be almost impossible to photocopy from afar-  The sheer number of extra slips means that this is a digital camera and a whole day job- it could not be properly photocopied remotely-there is just too much added on stuff.

A small plus is that the printers code suggests that the volume was actually printed up in January 1922-and in a print-run of 1200.  As well as this TNA copy, there must be copies elsewhere- 1200 is just too many for this to be the sole survivor. A number of our colleagues collect manuals- anyone out there got this one?    

And yes, DWP has a library-just off the Strand in Central London.  This looks like the sort of book that might be lurking in a record system elsewhere- eg BLESMA or SSAFA. Worth a try.