Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edited WW1 photos

crickhollow

On the subject of graphic photos from the Great War.  Very many years ago a chum

had a photo album showing horrific scenes of the aftermath of trench warfare, shelling etc.

This was published by a national newspaper in the inter-war period, the title escapes me.  The card cover was striking

in red and black, can anyone recall seeing an example of this?

Mike.

It was 'Covenants with Death' published by the Daily Express in <I think> 1933 as a warning against the rise of European Militarism. At the rear was a sealed section of images showing the reality of war. Many of these are from the Balkans and show atrocities and war crimes, though their are a fair number of battlefield casualties shown. Even in our modern image saturated culture it is pretty shocking. Copies are not common and in good condition fetch a modest sum. I got my tatty copy on Fleabay for about a fiver.

It does say the photograph was taken in 1918 so it is not purporting to be taken 20 years afterwards and the book does state " then and now". It's just showing what the land looked like during the war, minus the dead bodies which some would find too disturbing to look at. Remember, Hollywood films pre WW2 would show the "gangster" or "Cowboy" firing a gun then cut to the dead person on the floor. You hardly ever saw a person being shot - and no blood!

13 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

It was 'Covenants with Death' published by the Daily Express in <I think> 1933 as a warning against the rise of European Militarism. At the rear was a sealed section of images showing the reality of war. Many of these are from the Balkans and show atrocities and war crimes, though their are a fair number of battlefield casualties shown. Even in our modern image saturated culture it is pretty shocking. Copies are not common and in good condition fetch a modest sum. I got my tatty copy on Fleabay for about a fiver.

Yes, that must be the one I recall, it was around sixty years ago!

Mike.