Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

La Boutillerie, Bois-Grenier, L'Epinette & Houplines sectors

I am researching my great uncle, Private MATTHEW DUNN, 2nd/8th Bn., The King's (Liverpool Regiment), Service Number 307486, died 27/05/1917, buried in Merville Community Cemetery Extension, Northern France.

He was in France from February until his death in May 1917.  His Battalion was in La Boutillerie, Bois-Grenier, Houplines and L'Epinette sectors. 

I have copies of the Battalion's war diaries and I wonder if there is any more information about the Battalion's activities in the area at that time.  I'm also trying to establish where he actually died, or where he was injured?  As Merville Community Cemetery Extension was a Casualty Clearing Station, he could have been injured elsewhere, transported to Merville and died of his wounds there. Or he could have died elsewhere and his body exhumed and reburied in Merville.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you look at his entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website www.cwgc.org you will see the documents associated with the burial. If there any under the tab, 'concentration', then he was originally buried elsewhere. If not, then that was his original burial place. 

You could also look on the same site for any others of his battalion who died on the same day.