Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Munnings: War Artist, 1918. National Army Museum 30 Nov-3 March.

seaJane

Munnings's paintings are over here for the first time since 1919, the Canadian War Museum at Ottawa having lent them.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/nov/29/first-world-war-paintings-go-on-show-for-first-time-since-1919-alfred-munnings

After the NAM they will be on show at the Munnings Art Museum, Castle House, Dedham (Essex) where Munnings used to live.

Edited by seaJane

Thank you, seaJane.

Just spotted The Guardian print copy  (30.11.2018, pp 24-25) a few moments ago...with additional images than available at said link - lovely one of Alfred Munnings at work 

See https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2018/11/30/exhibition-century-mystery-munnings-horse-painting/ (includes NAM promotional video)

Edited by TGM

Also sculptor of the equestrian statue of Edward Horner (killed at Cambrai, 1917) in Mells church, Somerset:

IMG_20181130_161832.jpg

IMG_20181130_161914.jpg

Plinth by Lutyens.

One of my favourite equestrian artist's, the other being Lucy Kemp Welch.

I really hope I can get down to London to see this, as Dedham is further out on a limb.

I have just booked a ticket to visit on Wednesday (a fiver for old codgers) and noticed that the NAM also has This little cavalry gem running for free.

Looks like a good day out.

Excellent: I am not exhibition-goer so I can't compare with other exhibitions, and I am not artists so can't really comment on the 'art', but for me the whole thing worked.

As well as his painitings of the Canadian Cavalry Brigade, there are a lot on the Canadian Forestry Corps (in some ways these are the stars of the show), and of French rural life in wartime. Additionally there are several works depicting the ruination of war - destroyed barns or chateux - and of life behind the lines.

The paintings are well-spaced and (with one or two exceptions) not behin guard wires, making close inspection of the work quite easy. The labelling of each work is simple and straightforward, and the explnations generally clear and concise. Lighting is obviously subdued, but each picture is illuminated to good effect. There is plenty of space to step back and admire from a distance.

In addition to the art, there are cases with ephemera - badges and so on, plus quite a bit of accompanying kit associated with horses and their well-being and on some of the caracters mentioned(Seely in particular, of course).

A supporting catalogue (£15) is available and worth investing in.

In all I couldn't fault the exhibition, with one exception - the nannying nature of the NAM itself. For example, it was felt necessay to explain why animals were described as 'dumb', and the complete classic - a cigarette case, given to General Seely by Marechal Foch had on ts label, this gem: 'Smoking offered relief from physical and psychological stress. Its detrimental effects to health were not yet known'.

If you can, go and see it.

• 1 month later...

I can only echo Steve's comments - an excellent exhibition.

The current edition of 'The Oldie' (Feb. 2019!) has an interesting article about Seely and Munnings together with a reproduction of the painting of Seely on his horse Warrior.   Apparently there was a story that Seely put his horse up for the VC - citation "He went everywhere I went."

Edwin

There was at least one potential error in the story written by his grandson who revamped Seelly's own writing in a poor so called biography of his relative and wrote the Oldie article. His book seemed to me to contain no more information about the man than Seely's own two books relating to his war had.I. And, if memory serves me correctly, the original recommendation story about the VC award nomination contained  in the article was that it was made for a horse but his servant in Belgium in 1914. The tale apparently caused Winston Churchill great amusement. That said,  Seely himself was certainly not short of nerve.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to this tomorrow, having failed to get in to 'Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms' at the British Library. I have no idea at all about wheelchair accessibility at the NAM so can only hope it's ok.

'I am Ashurbanipal' at the British Museum today was a model of easy viewing, I'm pleased to say.

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

I have no idea at all about wheelchair accessibility at the NAM so can only hope it's ok.

Pushed my wife around NAM last September and had no problems whatsoever, indeed would say that it is one of the most wheelchair friendly museums that we have been to recently. If you are travelling by car i can't comment about parking at the site as we walked from Victoria Tube Station and returned on the bus. Would recommend using the buses rather than the underground which, where it exists for wheelchair users, is an absolute nightmare.

Oh, I agree about the underground! We will probably splash out and take a taxi - but thank you for the news about the NAM. :)

I totally concur with @ilkley remembers about the NAM, a model of accessibility! Two tiny comments - the mirror in the toilet near the café was only of use to those able to stand; and most of the lights on the Munnings paintings were set such that from directly in front I couldn't see the painting because of the reflected light. The brush-strokes were clearly visible, which was itself fascinating, but not the picture, to see which clearly I had to look from one side or the other.

But the exhibition was superb, and I bought the catalogue.

IMG_20190217_143017.jpg

IMG_20190217_144232.jpg

Edited by seaJane

I thoroughly enjoyed the exhibition; it was wonderful to see these magnificent works of art and be able to get so close to them to see how the incredible artist undertake his work.  I shall go to Dedham later in the summer to see the exhibition again.  I would recommend it.