Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Estree Blanche Airfield location

Bennett

I am searching for the Exact location of the Estree Blanche Airfield. On a past trip the locals could not assist.

From various sources I have seen mention that it was located on or near a meadow either north or northeast of the village of Estree Blanche along the old Roman road to Arras. I have also seen the aerodrome referred to as the Estree-Liettres Airfield and I have assumed that there were two closely adjacent airfields which shared facilities and services. If so, perhaps they could have been located northeast of Estree and northwest of Liettres?

Rather obscure question but any assistance and most especially photos appreciated.  Thanks  Ralph

Hi

not sure if this helps but it may assist in ruling out some areas

Map on McMaster 36a SW

regards

Jon

Hi Ralph.

Here is a quote from my history of 56 Squadron, High In the Empty Blue. 'The airfield itself was situated on the large field directly above the village of Estrée Blanche, on the east side of the road which runs steeply down into the village and as steeply out again to continue on to Arras. The northern border of the aerodrome was formed by the road to Blessy, the southern by the natural slope  of the ground running down to Estrée Blanche village, a mile distant. To the east lay the village of Witternesse; further east still the town of Aire with its peaceful canal.'

This description is from my visit there, armed with the map and aerial photo while researching the book, that enabled me to positively pinpoint the site, which had little changed over the years.    

The book also has a aerial photo of the field and a contemporary map. There was only one airfield, but it was sometimes described as either EB or  Liettres.

Alex Revell

I would imagine then from the above description square 23 of this map as linked earlier

image.png.3aad3855ee3056fc4c093148d91bcefd.png

Here is another map of the area, a secret edition. It looks very hilly for an airfield.

Howard

estree-blanche.jpg

Great. Thanks very much Sirs. The maps with the text description cover it very well. I just ordered your book Alex.   Thanks again  Ralph

Ralph,

When you get HITEB you'll have the aerial view, plus the official drawing of the layout of the aerodrome, with additions by people who served there. From memory, there's also an evocative description of the aerodrome in V M Yeates' superb book, Winged Victory.  

Howard, Hilly? Yes. You'll see from my description that the field was at the top of the hill leading down into the village. In WW2 the Luftwaffe had an aerodrome in the level field by the village.

Thanks Alex.

Look forward to your book. I had fun playing with Google Earth Pro and think I understand your text description correctly. Route 159 goes uphill north from Estree and where the road to Blessy takes a 90 degree right & east turn is the northern perimeter of the airfield. Seems if one just leveled the vegetation the area would be suitable once again for an RFC squadron  Ralph