Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Electricity supplies on the battlefield

Retlaw

Some on a local forum posted a picture of a small transformer they picked up France, claiming it was possibly of WW1 vintage. I disagreed as it would require AC to work. I don't think AC was available. batteries, yes,  but AC generators. Anyone know about Lecky supplies at the front.

Retlaw the S.U.I.B.

The Germans had built an elaborate electricity grid, which was used to even put electricity on the barbed wire in no man's land (some details about this can be found in my book "Defending the Ypres Front").

Jan

At Loos in 1915 one British unit tapped in to a German electricity supply and used it to power lighting, sigs etc.

One of those narrow gauge British locomotives had an "adapter" to power an electrical generator.  Could look it up if necessary.

new 3.2

8 hours ago, new3.2 said:

One of those narrow gauge British locomotives had an "adapter" to power an electrical generator.  Could look it up if necessary.

There's an image of one powering an attached workshop in this post https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/173218-ww1-military-motors-1916-set-x-50-cards/?do=findComment&comment=2260864  from the 'WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards' thread. Scrolling back and forwards from this will find other examples of generating equipment   - & mobile workshops powered by them - which were used at the front.

NigelS

Edited by NigelS
correction