Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to identify German helmet camo

M60

I recently bought this helmet for my collection, and I was wondering what kind of camo it had on it. The seller said it was some type of sand camo. Looks original to me. It also has a German name on it that reads “Perdÿlla.g.k.” The name might be perdÿlla and then a 1.9. But I can’t tell. The helmet size is 62 and the manufacturer is G. Any info on my helmet would be great.

2366A52C-E7EF-47EF-82FC-5EED13AEB071.jpeg

Isn’t a sand-coated German helmet very unusual?

I’m more used to seeing British/US helmets treated with sand or sawdust.

The camouflaged German helmets that I have seen usually have segmented paint schemes.

Regards,

JMB

15 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

That’s more of a WWII type field finish. Perhaps a reissue?

Perhaps, but I don’t know if and why the Germans would reissue ww1 helmets. Maybe volkssturm? 

23 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Isn’t a sand-coated German helmet very unusual?

I’m more used to seeing British/US helmets treated with sand or sawdust.

The camouflaged German helmets that I have seen usually have segmented paint schemes.

Regards,

JMB

I honestly haven’t seen a German sand coated helmet like this so I was skeptical at first but the helmet itself is indeed real. Thanks for your comment 

The interior and exterior paint condition doesn’t look that congruent to me. Perhaps someone in the not too distant past decided they’d try their hand at creating a ‘Normandy Camo’ type finish on it?

3 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

The interior and exterior paint condition doesn’t look that congruent to me. Perhaps someone in the not too distant past decided they’d try their hand at creating a ‘Normandy Camo’ type finish on it?

That’s a possibility, I’m starting to think it was reused or just customized not to long ago. Thanks for commenting 

Is the paint on the rim of the holes for the liner

what I am getting at is all German cameo helmets I have seen, not a great amount to be honest, were painted with rivets in situ so there would be an unpainted circle around where the river was, yours looks like the paint is right up to rivet hole.

the sawdust/sand finish is unusual to me also

regards

ken

9 hours ago, kmad said:

Is the paint on the rim of the holes for the liner

what I am getting at is all German cameo helmets I have seen, not a great amount to be honest, were painted with rivets in situ so there would be an unpainted circle around where the river was, yours looks like the paint is right up to rivet hole.

the sawdust/sand finish is unusual to me also

regards

ken

If you could elaborate more on what you were saying, I don’t know what your question is haha. I also haven’t seen anything about the sawdust or sand finish ever on a WWI German helmet. Thank  you for commenting. 

7 minutes ago, M60 said:

If you could elaborate more on what you were saying, I don’t know what your question is haha. I also haven’t seen anything about the sawdust or sand finish ever on a WWI German helmet. Thank  you for commenting. 

He means is there sawdust in or around the liner holes, and if there is sawdust there that means that the helmet was painted without the liner in it.

Exaggerated for effect, but the red line represents the edge of the liner rivet hole and the blue where the edge of the rivet head would sit on the outside. Originals are usually repainted with the liner in place, thus if the liner/pins are later lost/removed it leaves a noticeable gap in the paintjob (between the red and blue lines). If the helmet was repainted with the liner pins already missing the paint goes right up to the red line. It looks on your example that it was refinished right up to the red line, hence no rivets in place when that was done, and suggestive of having been reworked more recently.

German helmet paint job.png

On 01/12/2018 at 20:47, Andrew Upton said:

Exaggerated for effect, but the red line represents the edge of the liner rivet hole and the blue where the edge of the rivet head would sit on the outside. Originals are usually repainted with the liner in place, thus if the liner/pins are later lost/removed it leaves a noticeable gap in the paintjob (between the red and blue lines). If the helmet was repainted with the liner pins already missing the paint goes right up to the red line. It looks on your example that it was refinished right up to the red line, hence no rivets in place when that was done, and suggestive of having been reworked more recently.

German helmet paint job.png

On 02/12/2018 at 13:54, kmad said:

Yep That is what I was getting at, thanks Andrew for being so eloquent in your description.

ken

On 01/12/2018 at 14:41, Jools mckenna said:

He means is there sawdust in or around the liner holes, and if there is sawdust there that means that the helmet was painted without the liner in it.

Thank you now I have my answer, I really appreciate all of you for commenting and helping me with this! I was really confused when I first bought it but I’m glad it’s cleared up. 

• 2 weeks later...