Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Seaplanes

JDHeinsen

Hello....

I am researching this German Seaplane including any units, locations and pilots in 1917-18.  Numbers include 525, 711, 715, 727

Happy to dig in if pointed in the right direction.

Much thanks,

John 

Seaplane #727.png

56 minutes ago, JDHeinsen said:

Hello....

I am researching this German Seaplane including any units, locations and pilots in 1917-18.  Numbers include 525, 711, 715, 727

Happy to dig in if pointed in the right direction.

Much thanks,

John 

Seaplane #727.png

This machine would seem to be a Friedrichshafen FF 33 - either an 'e' or 'h' variant.   If this a cropped image is there any chance of seeing the whole photo?

11 minutes ago, pete-c said:

This machine would seem to be a Friedrichshafen FF 33 - either an 'e' or 'h' variant.   If this a cropped image is there any chance of seeing the whole photo?

The complete photo is in the process of being restored for exhibition, but here is a better look at one of the planes.  Details about the unit and location of the photo are of most interest.  Thanks for your interest.

Seaplane 525.png

7 hours ago, JDHeinsen said:

The complete photo is in the process of being restored for exhibition, but here is a better look at one of the planes.  Details about the unit and location of the photo are of most interest.  Thanks for your interest.

Seaplane 525.png

Hi John,

I now recognise this image.  This line up of machines is assembled at Norderney, on the North Sea coast, and this machine - '525' - has been identified as a Hansa-Brandenburg NW (note the much higher float supports than on the FF types) thirty two of which were supplied to the German Navy during 1915.   As to the others, '715' and '727' are indeed Friedrichshafen FF33e's.    '715' was delivered in July 1916, and '727' sometime between July and October 1916.

The above details taken from Paul Leaman's excellent series of articles on German Seaplanes in Cross and Cockade International.

Edited by pete-c
Spelling correction

18 hours ago, pete-c said:

Hi John,

I now recognise this image.  This line up of machines is assembled at Norderney, on the North Sea coast, and this machine - '525' - has been identified as a Hansa-Brandenburg NW (note the much higher float supports than on the FF types) thirty two of which were supplied to the German Navy during 1915.   As to the others, '715' and '727' are indeed Friedrichshafen FF33e's.    '715' was delivered in July 1916, and '727' sometime between July and October 1916.

The above details taken from Paul Leaman's excellent series of articles on German Seaplanes in Cross and Cockade International.

Thank you Pete.  Are Leaman's articles available online?

2 hours ago, JDHeinsen said:

Thank you Pete.  Are Leaman's articles available online?

Not available online unfortunately.  However, if you take a look at https://www.crossandcockade.com/ you will see that the more recent back numbers of Cross and Cockade International are available as hard copies.  Alternatively, older Journals are still available as downloads.  

13 hours ago, pete-c said:

Not available online unfortunately.  However, if you take a look at https://www.crossandcockade.com/ you will see that the more recent back numbers of Cross and Cockade International are available as hard copies.  Alternatively, older Journals are still available as downloads.  

If you have old issues, might you recall the one with the picture in question?  Even a year would be helpful.  I really appreciate your insight.

Edited by JDHeinsen

9 hours ago, JDHeinsen said:

If you have old issues, might you recall the one with the picture in question?  Even a year would be helpful.  I really appreciate your insight.

My apologies John.   The Image in question appears in Cross & Cockade International Vol 43/2 Summer 2012.   I've had a further check for '711' but without success - I haven't got a great deal of information on German types.   Have you checked out  http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/  I'm sure there are many on that forum who may be able to assist in your searches.

Good hunting.

Peter.

11 minutes ago, pete-c said:

My apologies John.   The Image in question appears in Cross & Cockade International Vol 43/2 Summer 2012.   I've had a further check for '711' but without success - I haven't got a great deal of information on German types.   Have you checked out  http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/  I'm sure there are many on that forum who may be able to assist in your searches.

Good hunting.

Peter.

LOL I'm on the Aerodrome Forum now.  Cheers!

ISSUE ORDERED - Thank you so much.  My Grandfather took this picture!

Edited by JDHeinsen

• 2 years later...

This picture was taken on 08.09.1916 at SFS Norderney during the visit of the Chef der Hochseeflotte Admiral Scheer and commander of the I. SFA Kvt.Kpt. Brehmer at Norderney.
We see a/c from all SFS at the Nordsee.

HEre a list of all a/c at Norderney on this day and the units there came from.

SFS Norderney: 525, 456, 58, 80, 53, 451, 450, 226, 446, 526
SFS Wilhelmshaven: 511, 516
SFS Borkum: 548, 743, 694, 722, 689, 443
SFS Helgoland: 682, 727, 715, 696, 717

KR
Alex