Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Rolls - BRCS - 1914 Star

BWKavanagh

Good Morning

I am researching my wife's great uncle CHARLES RICHARD STRATFORD and am trying to understand the information on the attached medal roll of the British Red Cross Society. Maybe someone can throw some light on the following:-

- what does the Disembarkation Date of 8th Oct cover? Is it the date of arrival overseas or is it the date of arrival back in England?

- you will see that there is no year shown against the Disembarkation Date but as this roll relates to entitlement for the 1914 Star (as per Army Order 350 of 1917 in the page heading) I assume that all dates on this page would be 1914... is that correct?

All comments and observations welcome.

Regards - Barry

Medal Rolls - BRCS - 1914 Star.jpg

No year given as there was no need, as you surmised they will all be 1914 to be on the 1914 Star medal roll.

Derek.

Thanks Derek.

As a follow-up to the above, see attached the Medal Roll of the BRCS & OSJJ for the Victory Medal and the British War Medal showing CHARLES RICHARD STRATFORD. I can see that the page is headed as "qualifying under subsequent service" but it's not clear to me whether the date range of 19.10.14 - 22.11.15 relates to service with the BRSC or with the RASC.

Any thoughts anyone on the timeline of his service and the dates?

Medal Rolls - BRCS & OSJJ - Victory Medal & BWM.jpg