Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for information on Allied Plane TAIL #s

JDHeinsen

Hello...

I am doing research on two images I have based on the Allied aircraft tail numbers. 

The information I am seeking is:

- Pilot

- Type of aircraft

- Location / Date of loss

Allied aircraft are: #959 (captured) and #8357 (crashed)

Thank you.

Plane 8357 tail.png

Plane 959 tail.png

4 hours ago, JDHeinsen said:

Hello...

I am doing research on two images I have based on the Allied aircraft tail numbers. 

- Pilot

- Type of aircraft

Thank you.

Plane 8357 tail.png

Plane 959 tail.png

Hi

The first image does not appear to be a Short 184 or DH.5 tail, it looks more like a BE.2c type tail.  The second image appears to be a more Nieuport like tail, the number could be from a machine in French use.  Full image, if available, of aircraft would have made identification easier.

Mike

12 minutes ago, nieuport11 said:

Henri Réservat was taken PoW on 22.5.16

ICRC record P49462 gives this

1427310277_ReservatHICRCsheet.JPG.15d05c59b12f519e88a64ed946c2238a.JPG

There are several cards for him on ICRC, under Ernest or Henri but this one adds a bit about the landing.

114679943_ReservatHICRCcard.JPG.3b2085dd2453170b5197951753e3f965.JPG

Edited by charlie962

There is a good thread on Reservat here

But I suspect you are looking to place where your photo was taken ? Since the plane was taken intact there is the possibility it was moved more than once and exhibited as a trophy ?

8 hours ago, JDHeinsen said:

Hello...

- Pilot

- Type of aircraft

Thank you.

Plane 8357 tail.png

Plane 959 tail.png

Certainly looks like B357 to me.   24 Sqn - 10.8.17 - last seen gliding W at 5,000ft apparently without engine after diving on EA over Niergnes, S of Cambrai, on COP.  Capt HE Read.    As Mike says, seeing the full images may well make identification much more straightforward.

Edited by pete-c

49 minutes ago, pete-c said:

Certainly looks like B357 to me.   24 Sqn - 10.8.17 - last seen gliding W at 5,000ft apparently without engine after diving on EA over Niergnes, S of Cambrai, on COP.  Capt HE Read.    As Mike says, seeing the full images may well make identification much more straightforward.

Looks like the tail of an Airco DH5 to me.  The control horn for the rudder cable is in the right place, and the curve of the rudder (and relation to the blue of the rudder marking) look right given the offset to port.

On 28/11/2018 at 13:24, Buffnut453 said:

Looks like the tail of an Airco DH5 to me.  The control horn for the rudder cable is in the right place, and the curve of the rudder (and relation to the blue of the rudder marking) look right given the offset to port.

Thank you for your assistance of the B357 mystery of Capt HE Read.  I have found his grave - https://www.ww1cemeteries.com/honnechy-british-cemetery.html

The photo of the plane I have is actually of his crashed plane and his body.  I'd prefer not to post it.  Sadly I was just in the area and could have visited his grave but will do so on my next trip.

Capt HE Read was also in the Lincolnshire Yeomanry, so I hope to find out more about his life. #RememberThem

honnechy-read-harry-esmond_orig.jpg

Edited by JDHeinsen

On 28/11/2018 at 12:28, charlie962 said:

There is a good thread on Reservat here

But I suspect you are looking to place where your photo was taken ? Since the plane was taken intact there is the possibility it was moved more than once and exhibited as a trophy ?

I agree Charlie that this plane was probably moved around... I did find this picture of him AND his Paris address. #RememberThem

Henri Reversat 149 rue de Rennes.png

Henri Reversat.png

Reservat_[Henri_aviateur]___[photographie_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b53004002g.JPEG