Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WardenUpNorth

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, but hope that somebody might be able to help me.

I am researching a Captain James Forbes 1/2nd Lovat's Scouts for a friend and was wondering if anyone had any information or photographs of the Lovat Scouts that might be useful. 

James Forbes was from Alness, Ross-shire. He enlisted in 1914 as a 2nd Lieutenant and I assume would have been with 'G Squadron' Lovat's Scouts. I cannot seem to find any photographs of this squadron although there are group photographs of other squadrons around on the internet. The 2nd Lovat's appear to have gone to Gallipoli then Salonika before ending up in France. 

I have a kindle version of 'The Story of the Lovat Scouts 1900-1980' (Melville, Michael) which is generally interesting and helpful but I'm trying to flesh-out what I know about him. Unhelpfully neither his medals or medal card have a regimental number.  I believe I have found his service records in the national archive; although I'm not quite sure what information the service records contain. He did survive the war and finished his service as a Captain.

So...I guess the question is, does anyone have any information on 'G Squadron' Lovat's Scouts 1914-1919?

Any help gratefully received.

Paul

Paul,

He won't have a service number if he joined as an officer.

Scott

Edited by Waddell

1 minute ago, Waddell said:

Paul,

He won't have a service number if he joined as an officer.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

Any soldiers I've researched before have been enlisted men and always had a service number so I assumed it was the same for officers.

Paul

It would be well worth ordering his service records from the National Archives to follow and confirm his movements.

Gallipoli, Salonika and then western Front are his likely movements. Possibly malaria.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-yeomanry-regiments-of-1914-1918/2nd-lovats-scouts-yeomanry/

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

According to the Page Check there are 56 pages in his service record. To be honest I was surprised that there would be so many. Any idea what information is normally kept in the service record? I assume enlistment details, medical records movement etc.

Paul 

2 minutes ago, WardenUpNorth said:

According to the Page Check there are 56 pages in his service record. To be honest I was surprised that there would be so many. Any idea what information is normally kept in the service record? I assume enlistment details, medical records movement etc.

Paul 

Paul,

Have a look through here-

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/how-to-find-an-officers-service-reord/

You will need them to research the man properly.

Scott

4 minutes ago, Waddell said:

Paul,

Have a look through here-

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/how-to-find-an-officers-service-reord/

You will need them to research the man properly.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the link. Certainly the service record seems the best route to go down.

Paul

Definitely. Once you have them you can work out a timeline of his movements and ask more specific questions about items in his records.

Melville’s book is OK, however, I  find it light on detail. Time for a new reference book on the Lovats I feel.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.