Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley Mark VI

I recently inherited this very nice Webley mark 6 revolver,  I have racked my brain on Google trying to figure out the history of this revolver and now I'm really confused. Any information on what the value might be and what the markings represent would be greatly appreciated. 

Scotty 

20181127_193120.jpg

20181127_193112.jpg

20181127_192954.jpg

20181127_192922.jpg

20181127_192916.jpg

20181127_193414.jpg

20181127_193335.jpg

20181127_193101.jpg

20181127_193036.jpg

20181127_193009.jpg

20181127_193417.jpg

20181127_193144.jpg

20181127_192933.jpg

The two facing arrows are 'sold out of service' marks. Is the cylinder shaved for .45acp clips? Can't really tell from the pics. If it is, I'd put it around $450-$500..at least that's what I see them for around here. 

Rest are standard proof marks. 

It looks as though this revolver might have had the cylinder machined so it takes .45acp rounds with a half moon clip.

Are you in the USA? This was a very common modification to make the revolvers easier to sell. I see no markings on the cylinder face which is usually a give away.

also if you look at the weapon sideways on the gap between the cylinder and the frame will be large. Also, if the cylinder is serial numbered on the rear edge some of the serial will be missing where the cylinder was machined down.

Most of the markings are proof marks and inspection stamps

Obviously there is the Makers Mark and Date of production 1917

The messy looking "star made out of lines" in several locations is a "sold out of service" mark (actually to arrow heads point to point) indicating it has been officially sold out of military service.

Value will be dependent upon where you are, its a nice example (although seems to have a replacement or renumbered barrel?) and if it has been converted to use .45ACP then that will hurt collectable value.

Chris

Chris,

In the last but one photo, does the N together with the lined-out serial signify naval service?

Regards,

JMB

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

Chris,

In the last but one photo, does the N together with the lined-out serial signify naval service?

Regards,

JMB

Possibly - however absent any other indication (other N marks) it could be a serial prefix too, I don't know enough about Webley serial numbers to offer an opinion.

Chris

My earlier model Webleys (MkI, MkII) that saw naval service weren't renumbered they just had a huge broadarrow carved in the top strap and possibly some unit and rack numbers added. The lined out serial number and the additional N number are unusual.

Skud - Look for a serial number on the side of the cyinder on the end near the hammer. If it looks like the top of the numbers are missing then it has been shaved for 45ACP. If you can show us a picture like your first picture, but straight on from the side of the cylinder so we can see the gap between the cylinder and recoil shield we can tell for sure.

If it is shaved for 45ACP DO NOT shoot factory 45 ammunition in it. 45ACP is loaded much hotter than 455 Webley and you run a risk of damaging the gun and possibly yourself. IF you want to shoot it you will need to use reloads with a proper sized bullet and proper charge. PM me for more info if you want to go down that road.

The sold out of service mark of opposed broad arrows appears to have been officially struck out, in the last photo.

Perhaps it was one of the few thousand that were purchased back from officers in 1919 and brought back into service again?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

1 hour ago, AlanD said:

The sold out of service mark of opposed broad arrows appears to have been officially struck out, in the last photo.

Perhaps it was one of the few thousand that were purchased back from officers in 1919 and brought back into service again?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

I haven't seen that 'strike out' hieroglyph before - is it documented anywhere accessible?

It also shows on the frame below the forward part of the cylinder.

I'm puzzled by the fact that in both cases the opposed arrows look to me as if they were struck afterwards.

10 minutes ago, MikB said:

I haven't seen that 'strike out' hieroglyph before - is it documented anywhere accessible?

It also shows on the frame below the forward part of the cylinder.

I'm puzzled by the fact that in both cases the opposed arrows look to me as if they were struck afterwards.

It's the cancellation Mark, commonly seen on bayonet pommels where a  piece has been reissued to another regiment, and yes it does look as though the sold out of service stamp is struck over that, so must be something else under there.

The mark is on here...http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/brit_bayo.html

Dave.