Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lager 3a Barrack 126, Giessen POW WW1

Sgt Thomas William Chisholm

My grandfather Sgt. Thomas William Chisholm was captured 27th May 1918 at the start of the Battle of Aisne, he was marched and railroaded through Lislet, Hirson France and on to Giessen, then Darsmtadt, and then onto Lager 3a Barrack 126 Lamsdorf Germany. He was at Lamsdorf till his release 1st January when he was put on a train then onto HMS Concord, and arrive in Copenhagen 2nd January 1919. I am busy transcribing his diary from that period. If anyone is interested you can find it here: www.facebook.com/SgtTWChisholm

Edited by Sgt Thomas William Chisholm
Update from records.

• Sgt Thomas William Chisholm changed the title to Lager 3a Barrack 126, Giessen POW WW1

Welcome to the forum.

That is a truly fascinating account of your grandfather's capture, captivity and release. Thank you for transcribing his diary and posting it! My grandfather was also captured on May 27, 1918 and spent time at Giessen. He must have gone through a very similar experience.

I do hope you plan to post the full transcript here once it is completed. Many people would be interested.

Peter 

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:26, PJS said:

Welcome to the forum.

That is a truly fascinating account of your grandfather's capture, captivity and release. Thank you for transcribing his diary and posting it! My grandfather was also captured on May 27, 1918 and spent time at Giessen. He must have gone through a very similar experience.

I do hope you plan to post the full transcript here once it is completed. Many people would be interested.

Peter 

Thanks for the encouragement Peter, my grandfather had always wanted to see his diary in print, and had offered it to several newspaper in the early thirties to no avail (I have copies of their rejection letters). I managed to get the local Evening Chronicle to put some of it out around the 11th November. I do intend to try and get the diary into some sort of printed form apart from on Facebook. I'm very new to this forum, so I don't know if I'd be able to post the full diary here or not, but I would consider it, if it was possible. Thanks again for the encouragement.

• Admin

I see that there is now an entry on the blog section regarding Sgt Chisholm. 

40 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I see that there is now an entry on the blog section regarding Sgt Chisholm. 

Yes, thanks for noticing Michelle, if there's enough interest I'll gradually post the rest of the diary in that way, if that's okay/