Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Access to "Royal Naval Division Casualties of The Great War, 1914-1924"

GrenPen

I just tried to access this via Ancestry at the library, but it was not appearing. It no longer seems to be available via FMP's "Lives of the First World War". Has this excellent resource been withdrawn? Has it been taken away from Ancestry and put into Fold 3?

Ancestry link:
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1252

How very peculiar. Would it be possible to look up the entry for Edward Tolra, please? He was in the RNVR pre-war, fought in Belgium in 1914, was at Jutland, and died at Zeebrugge.

It is ****** annoying that having paid FMP for the privilege of accessing this document hereafter, that they have taken access away to the transcription without notice or any form of communication.

i thought requesting info/look-ups from pay sites was forbidden under the GWF rules.

Members may NOT use the GWF as a platform to ask parties who are subscribers to various subscription sites to download material on their behalf or to post it on the GWF.

Edited by horatio2

The original post was to ask what the state of pay is with this dataset, owing to its sudden non-availability via two usual mediums.

Thank you.

If you are able to indicate what has gone here, as to why the two aforementioned portals (Ancestry Library, Lives of the First World War) no longer allow existing subscribers to access this excellent resource, then please do proceed with your explanation.

It would appear that this is still available via Ancestry. Nobody has commented whether or not this is still available via FMP, even if it has gone from Lives of the First World War.

I have long since given up on the technical support on Lives of the First World War, even though my subscription SHOULD continue to allow me to see this.

There was some confusion as to whether a given piece of information pertaining to Tolra was from this derived data transcription or from a different source. This question has now been answered.

My thanks to those who were able to confirm that Ancestry was still providing this dataset. I heard a rumour that one of the army datasets which is similar - but not a Naval subject, hence not being discussed - had flipped from Ancestry to Fold 3, hence wondering if this were the case too, and stating it in the original post.

The dataset on findmypast was called "Royal Naval Division Casualties 1914-1919", consisting of death records researched by Jack Marshall.

I cannot now find this dataset on findmypast, although there is still a description of the database available 

https://www.findmypast.com.au/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/armed-forces-and-conflict/royal-naval-division-casualties-1914-1919 

Perhaps findmypast were paying an ongoing licence fee and the originator of the dataset has a better offer from Ancestry. Just my theory, no knowledge of this. 

You could contact findmypast and see what it says.

Cheers

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I was hoping that a bona-fide subject matter expert like yourself would be able to shed some light on this with regard to FMP. I have tried two different approaches with Ancestry Library. In one instance, the dbid=1252 calls up an error screen. In the second instance, when calling up a universal search, there is no result for this dataset from the universal results. They must have pulled it from this set, presumably to reduce what they pay as a licence fee.

It is a pity that this is now only available to Ancestry subscribers. His work, not only on the casualty list, but also his sterling work on the medal rolls for RN officers, RNVR and Royal Marines is an excellent resource.

It is also a pity that there are some persons on here who feel they have to have the last word on every subject, even when they have nothing tangible to bring to the table. I've seen this from several people on the forum, fortunately these persons are in the minority these days, as it otherwise makes for a hostile environment.