Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Bertram Lewis Bisgood R.G.A.

GWF1967

Hi,

The officers in this photo postcard are named as "Bisgood, Davidson and Mitchell" , it's a Carte Postale; no other information is recorded.

I believe "Bisgood" to be Lt. Bertram Lewis Bisgood.    - Formerly 126877 R.H.A. - Commissioned 11/5/1916. (Batsman and Wicket Keeper. Somerset Cricket Club)

There is plenty of information about him in civilian life online, but little regarding his military service; an MIC  but no medal roll.

Any information on the unit/s he served with overseas would be welcome, as would indentification of Davidson and Mitchell.

No address is recorded on the MIC; does this indicate the medals were never applied for?

Scan_20181121 (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

The officers would appear to be Lt B L Bisgood, Major H Davidson and 2Lt H V Mitchell all of 145th Heavy Battery, RGA. He was a solicitor with Hatchett, Jones & Bisgood.  Besides 145th Heavy Battery he also served with 'C' Anti-aircraft Battery, RGA.

Major H. Davidson commanded 145th Siege Battery, RGA and 2Lt H V Mitchell was a Wellingbergian who also served with the battery.

Regards, Dick Flory

There is no medal Roll ref on MIC. The reverse says he appears on a R and F list later Commissioned. So my view is he was an officer who never applied for his medals

12 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

There is no medal Roll ref on MIC. The reverse says he appears on a R and F list later Commissioned. So my view is he was an officer who never applied for his medals

Thanks. 

21 minutes ago, rflory said:

The officers would appear to be Lt B L Bisgood, Major H Davidson and 2Lt H V Mitchell all of 145th Heavy Battery, RGA. He was a solicitor with Hatchett, Jones & Bisgood.  Besides 145th Heavy Battery he also served with 'C' Anti-aircraft Battery, RGA.

Major H. Davidson commanded 145th Siege Battery, RGA and 2Lt H V Mitchell was a Wellingbergian who also served with the battery.

Regards, Dick Flory

Many thanks once again for your help and information Dick. 

4 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Many thanks. 

• 2 months later...
On 26/11/2018 at 21:53, rflory said:

Major H. Davidson commanded 145th Siege Battery, RGA 

Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Do you have a christian name for Maj. Davidson please?

David Owen provided a link to (William H.B.)  Davidson,    I wondered if my man was - Henry Davidson M.C. D.C.M.  , Lt/ A/Maj  R.G.A.  ( D.C.M. as 699 - 24th H.B  L.G 23/6/1915 ).

I downloaded a War Diary for 145 H.B. from July 1916 - 31 Jan 1918; do you know if a later diary exists?

Edited by GWF1967

GWF1967:  I would assume that the Major H. Davidson, RGA is Major Henry Davidson, MC, DCM as he was serving with 145th Siege Battery when he earned his MC.

3 minutes ago, rflory said:

GWF1967:  I would assume that the Major H. Davidson, RGA is Major Henry Davidson, MC, DCM as he was serving with 145th Siege Battery when he earned his MC.

Many thanks indeed, much appreciated. 

I wasn't having any joy with finding him in the LG. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I spotted another postcard on eBay that seemed familiar; subject, location and exposure. On receipt I checked the back of the card to find a notation, "Bisy". 

I can positively identify B.L. Bisgood as the man on the right of the card originally posted.  

Scan_20181121 (3).jpg

2019-03-16_210812 (2).jpg

I thought I'd add this card.  " Left Section, Headquarters 145th (East Cheshire) Heavy Battery R.G.A".

2019-03-16_210511 (4).jpg

• spof changed the title to Lt Bertram Lewis Bisgood R.G.A.