Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visitors Centre near Yorkshire trench

towisuk

A few years ago I seem to remember that it was mentioned that there was to be a Visitor Centre on the Kleine Poezelstraat near the Moortelweg turn-off.

Does anyone know what happened to that planned attraction for visitors to the Battlefield near Yorkshire trench...??

If anyone can answer this I think Aurel might be the man "in the know"..

regards

Tom

Edited by towisuk

Tom,

It is there. And has been for a year or two (three ? four ?) Near the crossroads Kleine Poezelstraat - Moortelweg. It's the former post-war farm Klein Zwaanhof. The door opens automatically when you ring the bell.

From the Yorkshire Trench & Dug-out : across the road (the Bargiestraat) there is a path leading to it directly. Approx. 150 metres. Only for pedestrians (and my bike  :-)  ). I was there in it a couple of Sundays ago. Normally open that day at 10 a.m. but I got in a while before that time. I'll see if I can find the opening and closing hours.

Aurel

Hi Aurel, nice to contact you on the forum again mate, thanks for the update on the visitors centre, I've been through Ypres dozens of times in the last four years but never been North of the town for a long while..  I looked on Google Earth street view and the farm buildings seemed to be boarded up and abandoned, mind you there's no telling when Google had it's photographic car round that way last....

I'm hoping I'll get a chance to check it out around February or March next year....I get an overnight Ferry to Zeebrugge and have a day in the salient on a "Motorists Mini cruise" returning in  evening on the same Ferry...   I've neglected the Yorkshire trench and Pilkem ridge area on my travels...maybe the enormous amount of construction and wind farms that have appeared in the last few years might be the reason for that... 

Many thanks again for the information, my best regards...

Tom 

Hi Tom,

Actually I like the wind turbines (they tell me what direction to take went I leave for a bike ride). The industrial estate itself less though. Especially when I think that a century ago that was a battlefield for over 2 years. And that dozens and dozens of men are still there, beneath the asphalt and concrete...

Aurel

Yes Aurel... I often think of the number of remains you and the "Diggers" recovered, (and in doing so ensured a decent burial) before the construction got into full swing....  When left to the developers I wonder how many sets of remains were recovered by them..??   I find it difficult to understand how Ypres can host remembrance events and yet a few miles up the road the bulldozers are insuring the remains of soldiers that fought for the land, are being consigned to the dustbin of history!

A depressing thought about mans industrial priorities over moral responsibilities..

best regards

Tom

I visited this centre on Saturday as my grandfather served in the Yser Canal / Pilkem Ridge area with 8th Royal Scots.

we were extremely impressed with the large photograph of the war torn landscape and would like to find a copy. Despite searching google I have had no success.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this picture?

The image is from a picture I took, so is obviously poor quality.

thanks

peter 

A44F42B4-6CB1-4F28-A6B8-90152784493E.jpeg

It may be worth contacting the museum from the link above as the photo is likely to be credited/copyrighted etc and trace it through there. Is that actually Yorkshire Trench? My great uncle was very close by.

Edited by m0rris

Hi Morris,

good idea, i will contact them.

Im assuming 5he picture is of Pilkhem Ridge, as it dominates the wall of the visitor centre there, but I’m really not sure.

Peter Le Duc,

This photo is the one that triggered my interest in WW1 here in Boezinge in the early 1970s. Can you let me know what your e-mail address is in a PM ? I can send you a photo of what the place looks like now as well. (It took me many ears to pinpoint the exact location.)

Aurel

P.S. No, it is not Pilkem Ridge. It is some dozen metres east of the (former) railroad bridge across the Boezinge canal.

Edited by Aurel Sercu
clarifying to who the posting was adressed to :-)

Tom,

I was a member of the Diggers until April 2004. At that time we had found remains of approx. 200 soldiers (Most of them British, a quarter French, a quarter German). After that a dozen or two more were found.

Yes, I know, that they are still there may sound disrespectful. But that is ... progress. And in a way I can live with it. One has to, if one ... lives here. And it is not only there that dozens - hundreds - thousands of men are still 'buried'. And sure, 50 or so years ago, building activities elsewhere took place, and roads were laid, at a time that finding remains was no priority. Or on locations where no teams of amateur-archaeologists first did a prospection.

A while ago I did some research regarding the French soldiers who died there (an area a little larger, between the Canal and the Pilkem Road) between end of April and mid June 1915, and who do not have a known grave (i.e. many (most ?) of them are still there). I found over 900.

M0rris,

The photo in Peter's posting is not Yorkshire Trench. (Though I have seen it published as if it is nearby ... In fact it is 800 metres more northwest.)

If you want to know more about the Yorkshire Trench, this is an article on my (since 2004 no longer updated) Diggers website.

http://www.mausershooters.org/diggers/E/activiteiten/yorkshire-trench/restauratie.htm

When was your greatuncle there ?

Aurel

Ah! but is it progress Aurel..??? if a small team such as yours could deliver 200 souls to a proper resting place why can't the developers pay for teams to do a "Diggers".... they have the benefit of machinery for earth moving and a full time job rather than just the weekends that you lads had.  I find the town of Ypres and local authorities all to ready to splash out on "remembrance" that brings the Euros in with visitors, whilst turning a blind eye to something that makes a mockery of what they claim remembrance is about.

Ok time to get off my high horse...I've ridden it for a number of years now...but I will never come round to the idea that some things are ok to do whilst pretending to honour the dead....!!

As said I've passed through Ypres lots of times in the last few years...but I never leave any money behind by buying anything in the businesses in that area...just one of my quirks.!!

bed time....

best regards

Tom

15 hours ago, Aurel Sercu said:

Tom,

I was a member of the Diggers until April 2004. At that time we had found remains of approx. 200 soldiers (Most of them British, a quarter French, a quarter German). After that a dozen or two more were found.

Yes, I know, that they are still there may sound disrespectful. But that is ... progress. And in a way I can live with it. One has to, if one ... lives here. And it is not only there that dozens - hundreds - thousands of men are still 'buried'. And sure, 50 or so years ago, building activities elsewhere took place, and roads were laid, at a time that finding remains was no priority. Or on locations where no teams of amateur-archaeologists first did a prospection.

A while ago I did some research regarding the French soldiers who died there (an area a little larger, between the Canal and the Pilkem Road) between end of April and mid June 1915, and who do not have a known grave (i.e. many (most ?) of them are still there). I found over 900.

M0rris,

The photo in Peter's posting is not Yorkshire Trench. (Though I have seen it published as if it is nearby ... In fact it is 800 metres more northwest.)

If you want to know more about the Yorkshire Trench, this is an article on my (since 2004 no longer updated) Diggers website.

http://www.mausershooters.org/diggers/E/activiteiten/yorkshire-trench/restauratie.htm

When was your greatuncle there ?

Aurel

Many thanks Aurel for the link to the Diggers website. I have seen your marvellous work before from watching the films available on Youtube and I'd recommend everyone to see them. My great uncle was in the 16th RWF and in the vicinity of YT from August 16-17 when he was seriously wounded close to Stray Farm. I believe the battalion HQ was in Yorkshire Trench prior to the 31st July attack.

Will

Edited by m0rris

Tom,

Sorry, but I think I am not competent enough to give decent comment on that. It is on a level that I do not frequent frequently enough ...

"why can't the developers pay for teams to do a "Diggers".... "

I'm afraid I do not know the answer. (Except that I do not know of the existence of similar (amateur) groups.)

But it would be a good idea to ask the developers ? Nobody will stop you ...

"I find the town of Ypres and local authorities all to ready to splash out on "remembrance" that brings the Euros in with visitors, whilst turning a blind eye to something that makes a mockery of what they claim remembrance is about. "

Really ? Certainly not your euros ...   :-)  (See below).

Is it a "mockery" ? How come that I, who have lived here for over half of a century do not see it that way ? Simple : I must have a blind eye ?...

All I can say is that as far as I know before works start (nowadays, in Flanders) an archaeological exploration (survey) first has to take place. For which the developers / owners have to pay. But I stand to be corrected.

That you do not want to buy "anything in the business" in the area of Ypres ? No one not force you. That is your free choice.

But ... are you aiming your arrows on the right people in Ypres ? Do you really blame "the town of Ypres and local authorities" ?

Aurel

Hi Aurel, many thanks for your thoughts on the matter.....but the topic is wandering off course to my original posting, and no doubt there is a token inspection made pre-building as required..

"All I can say is that as far as I know before works start (nowadays, in Flanders) an archaeological exploration (survey) first has to take place. For which the developers / owners have to pay. "

But I wonder how many sets of remains were found during these surveys???

Like Hill 60.. a house is built that does not conform to the planning permission given...but what action by the "Authorities" was taken to rectify the situation..??

As I've said, the topic was the visitors centre which you've been very kind in supplying the information I was seeking Aurel,  once again, nice to meet up with you on the forum after a "longish" absence on my part due to other pressing affairs...

my very best regards..

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not wish to give comment though.. Not on your "???" question, and I assume you know more about 'Hill 60' than I do.

I had only joined the Topic because I thought it was a good idea to help you. However I was not aware  that you would take use of the opportunity to express (again) your negative view on Ypres. So my good idea was not so good after all. Once (twice ?) bitten ...

Just pity me : I have to live near Ypres ... You are safe, far away,  and when passing through it your money is safe too.

Aurel

Pistols at dawn?

13 hours ago, Aurel Sercu said:

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not wish to give comment though.. Not on your "???" question, and I assume you know more about 'Hill 60' than I do.

I had only joined the Topic because I thought it was a good idea to help you. However I was not aware  that you would take use of the opportunity to express (again) your negative view on Ypres. So my good idea was not so good after all. Once (twice ?) bitten ...

Just pity me : I have to live near Ypres ... You are safe, far away,  and when passing through it your money is safe too.

Aurel

Aurel, I did not mean to upset you in anyway...forgive me if that's the way it its come over, I admire  you for all the work you have put in on this forum and you have my greatest respect.

As I mentioned I moved off my original topic...my fault mate I'm sorry.... I have the utmost respect for you ....

best regards

Tom

OK. And no pistols. Neither dawn nor dusk.  :-)

Aurel

Edited by Aurel Sercu
typo