Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Siege Battery locations

MrEd

Hello All, 

I need some help, i have pulled location information out of the war diary for 252 siege battery, but after the individual batteries stopped keeping war diaries and it went to brigade level I can only find in the relevant HAG/brigade diaries the locations of the HQ, not the actual batteries.

Does anyone know where else i can look, or does anyone know where 252 SB was between 30/9/1917 to June 1918.

Before that i have the lcoations from the SB diary, but after that only the locations of the HQ - Is that the closest i will getor is there another source that will have the relevant details in?

many thanks

Ed

2 minutes ago, MrEd said:

Does anyone know where else i can look

The Corps HA diary for the relevant Brigade? Maybe?

The ANZAC & Canadian Corps were very good at documenting SB locations.

British ones less so.

29 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Might this help (or have I got the wrong 252 SB)? http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/2e1ce24336d24954b94f9e4cbff70917 should cover the early part at least (just not Feb - June 18) Last page (viewed through the watermark) does have a 1918 date on it.

That's the correct diary.

Army Troops. 252 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery

Reference: WO 95/226/8
Description: Army Troops. 252 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery
Note: The pages in this item are part of a larger record (piece). The record has been split into smaller parts during the digitisation process.
Date: 1917 Feb - 1918 Jan

I have downloaded the ANZAC the other diaries - 226/2 and 226/8 mentioned above, the ANZAC one is fab with typed entries. The British one sometimes just says ‘moved battery to near hooge’ etc - thanks for the links.

I have brigade diaries for 53, 45, Sb diary for 252, and HQ diaries for XXII corps, XV corps and II corps aswell

Will go over them all again with a fine tooth comb and double triple check i havent missed anything, its quite hard though tbh

thanks gents, i might have to accept that for the moment there may be gaps, but general location is fine for my needs at the moment - and they wont be _that_ far from HQ surely?

Edited by MrEd

Thanks, will start a new thread as I now have some questions about distances moved!

thanks

ed

Edited by MrEd