Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rose on a Victory medal ribbon bar?

I hope someone can help me shed some light on my great grandfather’s war medals, which my father has given me. 

My great grandfather was a Lance Serjent and then a Colour Serjent in the Scots Guards. He had three medals: the 1914 (Mons) Star with bar, the British War medal, and the Victory medal. We don’t have the medal ribbons for the 1914 Star or the Victory medal, only the British War medal. 

We do however have the ribbon bar for all three medals, but, oddly, as well as the rosette on the 1914 Star ribbon there is also one on the Victory medal ribbon too. 

I have read that those mentioned in dispatches would have an oak leaf on the ribbon, with a smaller oak leaf emblem on the ribbon bar, but I can find no mention of a rosette on the Victory medal ribbon bar. 

Can anyone shed any light on what this might represent?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

22E3240E-1F37-47A7-A204-AA40CF1F795D.jpeg

Hi,

I think 2 roses (plus the bar) were issued to persons entitled to the 1914 Star and he has put one on his VM.

Steve

rksimpson wrote: "Looking at the picture, the bar should have gone on the ribbon of his full sized 1914 star, the rosette on the miniature and on the bar."

The bar should go on both the full-size and miniature 1914 Star while the rosette should only be worn on the service ribbon.

Odd that the rose on the VM is markedly off-centre. Something doesn't look quite right about that rose on the VM. Hard to tell from the picture, but is it a replacement? It doesn't look to be quite the same shape as the one on the star ribbon.

7 hours ago, rflory said:

The bar should go on both the full-size and miniature 1914 Star while the rosette should only be worn on the service ribbon.

Thanks for the correction, sorry!!

regards

Robert

Dear All, and Dick,

I agree wholeheartedly with rflory...!

Dear GGofanSG,

The miniature group is correctly mounted. The rosette on the Victory Medal ribbon on the ribbon-bar should (if you want it to be correct) be removed.

The large 1914 Star Trio group would be easy to "bring up to speed", especially as the original brooch-bar exists, by having the 1914 Star ribbon fitted with replacement '5th AUG.-22nd NOV. 1914' bar, and replacement Victory Medal ribbon. Voila!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for all your helpful replies. From the research I had done myself, I had thought that the rosette on the Victory Medal ribbon bar was incorrect. It is good to have it confirmed.

I guess the reasons for its being there is a family mystery that can’t be solved now.

Thanks again for your time and assistance. 

My understanding is that two rosettes were issued in a small envelope, he probably thought that he had to sew both on