Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any help would be greatly appreciate :)

Cochrane37787

Hello everyone my name is Lorna & I have been researching my great grandad Serjeant John Cochrane who died on 25th March 1918 serving with 18th batt HLI Glasgow ...... now this picture I have attached is who we have thought for the past 4 years is my great grandad but a lovely man from the HLI helped me research him and found me a true picture of my grandad .... anyway would anyone be able to help me identify what uniform this is as we now think it could be his brother but I just don’t have anything to go on other than this picture. (The picture was handed down from other family members hence why we think he is family)

thank you so much for any help giving. 

(I can try and get a better copy of it tomorrow when at my parents house) 

13B090DC-EB44-4530-A21C-24608DF03640.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Cochrane37787 said:

(I can try and get a better copy of it tomorrow when at my parents house) 

13B090DC-EB44-4530-A21C-24608DF03640.jpeg

Hi Lorna, 

A good quality scan of the card and a  close up of the cap badge if possible please. If you post a name, d.o.b etc. as well it should help. 

Hello thank you for the reply. I will try tomorrow but dad is now saying he doesn’t know where the photo is (along with other family pictures) I don’t really have a name or dob etc as we thought I was my grandad John Cochrane but the man who researched John for me said the uniform doesn’t match what my grandad served in :/ I thought then it could be his brother William Cochrane born 1889 (that’s all we have on him) but we can’t find any other solid information on him (or a picture) and ancestry was telling me he also served in Highland light infantry but some other man, (John McCann), my dad has been talking to said William served in Seaforth. 

A949D70E-96D9-4041-ABE1-01D780CE83E9.png

Hi Lorna

Soldiers Died in the Great War states the following.

Born Bellshill Lanarkshire

Enlisted Coatbridge, Lanarkshire.

He served with the 1st Battalion H L I with a service number 8972, before being transferred to the 18th Battalion (4th Glasgow) Highland Light Infantry with as service number 37787

He was entitled to the 1914/15 Star and the Victory Medal and British War Medal.

Looks like he was overseas with the 1st Battalion 2nd May 1915.. His Star was returned on the 21/4/1922.

Soldiers Effects on the Ancestry site shows that he left his money to his widow Annie £24.2.10.

C W G C record him on the Pozieres Memorial.

!8th Battalion war diary is on line on Ancestry, and place the 18th Battalion around the area of Bernafay Wood on the 25/03/1918.

Hope some of this helps

Regards

Andy      

The uniform certainly isn't HLI. Badge looks like it might be Fusiliers, but it is somewhat indistinct.

1 minute ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi Again Lorna

The C W G C have him listed as 18th Glasgow Yeomanry.

Regards

Andy

In late '17 the Glasgow Yeomanry were dismounted and surplus personnel sent to the 18th HLI, who assumed the title of 18th (Glasgow Yeomanry) Battalion.

Hi Lorna

I have an e-copy of a book "Coatbridge and the Great War" which lists men who served from the town it lists William as "225 Pte William Cochrane, 1st Bn Seaforth Highlanders" it states he was a "Regular Soldier" who was "KIA 5th November 1917" and gives a home address of "37 Whifflet St". So 100% not him.

You'll see the address is the same as that of your Grandfather who is listed as "37787 Sjt John Cochrane, 18th Bn HLI", he has an earlier number "8972".

There is a David Cochrane listed as "T4/061714 Pte David Cochrane, Army Service Corps" address though is "31 Ellis St" not sure if he's a Brother but cap badge doesn't look right.

Sam

42 minutes ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi Lorna

Soldiers Died in the Great War states the following.

Born Bellshill Lanarkshire

Enlisted Coatbridge, Lanarkshire.

He served with the 1st Battalion H L I with a service number 8972, before being transferred to the 18th Battalion (4th Glasgow) Highland Light Infantry with as service number 37787

He was entitled to the 1914/15 Star and the Victory Medal and British War Medal.

Looks like he was overseas with the 1st Battalion 2nd May 1915.. His Star was returned on the 21/4/1922.

Soldiers Effects on the Ancestry site shows that he left his money to his widow Annie £24.2.10.

C W G C record him on the Pozieres Memorial.

!8th Battalion war diary is on line on Ancestry, and place the 18th Battalion around the area of Bernafay Wood on the 25/03/1918.

Hope some of this helps

Regards

Andy      

Thank you Andy and I’m really sorry I’ve obviously not explained myself properly (now feel really bad) ... 

we have every little detail possible to find on John Cochrane 37787 as that’s my great grandad but the picture we found of what John Cochrane isn’t what we thought hence why I have posted this photo above as I’m now looking for who we think this man above is which is a William Cochrane (johns brother) but apparently William served in Seaforth and from the looks of Sams commented my uncle did serve there but this picture isn’t William either.

so to make light of the situation 🤣 sorry to any family members who later go on to claim this photo as their family members because it seems like his isn’t mine after all :) 

39 minutes ago, roughdiamond said:

Hi Lorna

I have an e-copy of a book "Coatbridge and the Great War" which lists men who served from the town it lists William as "225 Pte William Cochrane, 1st Bn Seaforth Highlanders" it states he was a "Regular Soldier" who was "KIA 5th November 1917" and gives a home address of "37 Whifflet St". So 100% not him.

You'll see the address is the same as that of your Grandfather who is listed as "37787 Sjt John Cochrane, 18th Bn HLI", he has an earlier number "8972".

There is a David Cochrane listed as "T4/061714 Pte David Cochrane, Army Service Corps" address though is "31 Ellis St" not sure if he's a Brother but cap badge doesn't look right.

Sam

I don’t think my grandad had a brother called David as we only found John, George, Andrew, William and Charles (Charles dies from tubercular meningitis when he was 2yos) from the census records. It was George and William we didn’t know what happened to them. We know who Andrew married and kids etc but no records of marriage or anything for George and William (swear I wish I hadn’t started my family tree). 

8 minutes ago, Cochrane37787 said:

We know who Andrew married and kids etc but no records of marriage or anything for George and William

Bit of extra info, looks like William enlisted early 1909. He has no NoK on his CWGC entry but that doesn't mean he wasn't married as is bourne out by your Gt Gt Grandfather John's entry which also has no NoK details which is strange as he has a Widow, this can be for a number of reasons, commonly the Widow had moved or 're-married when CWGC contacted (or unsuccessfully tried to contact) NoK's in the early 20's. 

His "Soldiers Effects" entry as John's does quoted by Andrew will show who received his monies on Death as NoK. Just to note, the addresses listed in the book are normally those at the time of enlistment, if John married after enlistment, it's probably their parents address, either that or it's John's and he was his NoK.

Sam

We have also been giving this picture last night that I forgot about and we've been told this is William Cochrane, is anyone recognises this uniform? :/ 

Are you able to find out Williams widows name from anywhere Sam? I’ve tried but can’t find anything.... also Johns widow Annie clamied his £24.2.10 that was left. 

B226A060-C655-41E0-A4D7-F1B095CB3262.jpeg

That is a photo of William, it's the same one as in the book, it shows him in Seaforth Highlanders dress uniform.

To find out who his NoK was you need to go to Ancestry and look up the "Soldiers Effects" records, Ancestry is a subscription site but they do a free trial for new members.

Sam

3 hours ago, roughdiamond said:

That is a photo of William, it's the same one as in the book, it shows him in Seaforth Highlanders dress uniform.

To find out who his NoK was you need to go to Ancestry and look up the "Soldiers Effects" records, Ancestry is a subscription site but they do a free trial for new members.

Sam

Thanks sam you’ve been really helpful. I have been paying for ancestry but didn’t have a clue what I was doing really except making a tree which I’m now sick of looking at haha it’s consumed my life for the past 4weeks lol I couldn’t find and other name on Williams records except his family (brother George and sis in law Annie she was johns wife) so I’m guessing I’ve found all I can on him. We know what happened to the brother Andrew he survived the war was married to Hannah and had kids but it’s just George now to research, we don’t know if he joined or what happened to him lol. 

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Willian Cochrane (d 23 April 17) has his NoK shown as his widow Rose A.

Craig

Hi Craig, yeah that’s the William Cochrane I thought was my 2nd great uncle but its not as the William you’ve found served In HLI and died in April but my William died 5th nov 1917 which has now been confirmed by 2 different people but thanks anyway for helping :) 

5 hours ago, Cochrane37787 said:

it’s just George now to research, we don’t know if he joined or what happened to him 

George isn't listed in the book, neither is Andrew, I can only assume neither was living in Coatbridge. What age was George?

Have you looked to see who was living at 37 Whifflet St in the 1911 Census or on John's marriage to Annie? You say "I couldn’t find another name on Williams records except his family brother George and sis in law Annie she was johns wife" from that can i ask if you have his service record? I'd guess the address is John and Annie's and they were his NoK.

Finally if you have Ancestry check these 2 records of Soldiers Effects https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/ukarmyregisterseffects/?name=William_Cochrane&f-F8007A65=225&f-F8007A65_x=1&name_x=1_1 one should be William's and list his NoK

Sam

yeah sam i looked at them earlier after you told me how to find them but only name i dont recognise is arthur :/ we know now from searching scotlandspeople that William never married at all. I dont think George enlisted as I have his birth, marriage and a rough guess of his death which is 1913 I think. I dont know if Andrew enlisted but he didnt die till not long after my dad was dead. They were all born and lived in good old Coatbridge lol ... I now have downloaded all 4 brothers births & death certificates (except george still need to pay for that next pay day) and all marriage certificates except william as he didnt marry. 

i will add below once i long in on my phone a closer up picture of the badge on the picture above (scanner is broken but done the best i could)

That’s what I thought too by doing a random search on google :/ 

Hi Lorna

For the mystery Sgt, you maybe looking at the wrong Gt Gt Grandparent, have you considered it could be Annie's Brother? What's her maiden name?

Another option is she remarried and it's her 2nd husband.

Not sure if you are familiar with Coatbridge War Memorial, but this link http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic665.html is from the "Scottish War Memorial Project" and the 5th image shows your Gt Gt Grandfather John and William's names.

Sam

you know Sam I didn’t even think of Annie brothers :/ not sure if she even had any... her name was annie cummings but her 2nd husband David McVey wasn’t in the army I don’t think. 

I was was born and lived in Coatbridge for 24 years then moved here to Belfast 4 years ago but it’s only the past year I’ve took an interest in my great grandad John and the family tree. I had never heard of John till like 4 years ago when dad decided to look in to him and go to the museum place in Glasgow and they gave him print outs. I’ll have a look at that site now, thank you very much. 

Edited by Cochrane37787
Last name spelling mistakes

Lorna

I'm not convinced the the Cap badge is Welsh Regt as the scroll below the Prince of Wales feathers is far more curved in the photo than the badge as I know it IMHO.

I'd suggest starting a new thread with the photos and title it "Cap Badge id help please". Explain it's an unidentified photo from the family and add a link to this thread. Because this will be the 23rd post on the thread, very few members will look at it for the 1st time, a new thread will get many more views.

Sam

Oh Sam I wouldn’t know where to start lol I can make a new thread but don’t know how to do the link to this one lol I will try tomorrow during the day when my daughters at nursery out the way and I can get peace and quiet on the laptop lol I’d also like to have a good look through this website anyway and on my phone is hopeless. 

Thanks for your help :) 

Units that had three feathers with a scroll underneath in not much order

The Welsh Regiment

The Glamorgan Yemonary

The Pembrokshire Yeomanry

The 10th Hussars

3rd Dragoon Guards 

Cheshire Yeomanry 

The Royal Whiltshire and Denbighshire Yeomanry had the three feathers but not a scroll.

However I can not think of one above where the scroll is so U shaped rather than straight.