Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaforth Highlanders

brian burns

Hello new to the forum .

Ive been asked by a friend to find the whereabouts of  William Anderson , seaforth Highlanders 

He enlisted and never came home from ww1 , my friends grandmother has three medals and engraved 

is his service number 14488 

ive searched commonwealth war graves and the scottish roll of honour to no avail 

theres loads of the same name but when you type in the service number it always comes up no records 

hoping anyone can help 

sincerely

brian 

As you say, many of the same name. So anything else you can tell us may help to pin him down.

Date of birth, place of birth, marriage, census entries, familymembers etc...........

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Medal index card shows he was #14488 Seaforths and  #111416 Labour Corps.

Craig

I noted that Craig thank you 

10 minutes ago, Neil 2242 said:

As you say, many of the same name. So anything else you can tell us may help to pin him down.

Date of birth, place of birth, marriage, census entries, familymembers etc...........

will ask , thanks Neil

28 minutes ago, brian burns said:

Hello new to the forum .

Ive been asked by a friend to find the whereabouts of  William Anderson , seaforth Highlanders 

He enlisted and never came home from ww1 , my friends grandmother has three medals and engraved 

is his service number 14488 

ive searched commonwealth war graves and the scottish roll of honour to no avail 

theres loads of the same name but when you type in the service number it always comes up no records 

hoping anyone can help 

sincerely

brian 

Can i also say that when searching his service number i noticed it was allocated to a solder in the Grenadier guards   l/cpl B R Clements

32 minutes ago, brian burns said:

Can i also say that when searching his service number i noticed it was allocated to a solder in the Grenadier guards   l/cpl B R Clements

Service numbers weren't generally unique, there would be a quite a few men with the same number.

Craig

18 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Medal index card shows he was #14488 Seaforths and  #111416 Labour Corps.

Craig

Thanks for this Craig ,  went on to find this , it shows he was discharged before he enlisted but proves two service numbers 

WO-372-1-87827.pdf

2 minutes ago, brian burns said:

Thanks for this Craig ,  went on to find this , it shows he was discharged before he enlisted but proves two service numbers 

WO-372-1-87827.pdf

Be aware that not all those cards are for the same man - the only one that is for your man is the one with the two numbers.

Craig

14 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Be aware that not all those cards are for the same man - the only one that is for your man is the one with the two numbers.

Craig

Thanks Craig for that ....If he isnt listed in the commonwealth war graves how can i find a grave ?

thanks 

brian

2 minutes ago, brian burns said:

Thanks Craig for that ....If he isnt listed in the commonwealth war graves how can i find a grave ?

thanks 

brian

If he died in service it's unlikely he was missed off the CWGC, there's nothing on the card itself to suggest he died nor is there an entry in SDGW or the effects records under those numbers that I can find - as we have seen on this site many times a man not coming home from the war did not always means he was dead, a surprisingly large number of men used the time to just disappear and not return to their pre-war life.

Craig

22 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

If he died in service it's unlikely he was missed off the CWGC, there's nothing on the card itself to suggest he died nor is there an entry in SDGW or the effects records under those numbers that I can find - as we have seen on this site many times a man not coming home from the war did not always means he was dead, a surprisingly large number of men used the time to just disappear and not return to their pre-war life.

Craig

Thank you

I take it my only hope of finding him is through pension records or discharge papers   does the forum recommend an organisation thatcan help,

thank you