Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auction 25 Nov - Y&L medal set & death plaque

Ellis1918

Lot 1067 at Paul Beighton Auctions near Rotherham Sun 25 Nov. BWM & V M , death plaque and certificate.  Service records on Ancestry. Guide price £80 - £160 

full_1067.JPG

full_1067.3.JPG

Loving the wide spread of the guide price estimates.

The auction results are reported on the Paul Beighton later. I would estimate them achieving £50 - £60.

7 minutes ago, Ellis1918 said:

The auction results are reported on the Paul Beighton later. I would estimate them achieving £50 - £60.

surely the death plaque alone would achieve £ 50 or £60 pound 

have you recently seen the asking price for them on Ebygum

Ray

2 hours ago, Ellis1918 said:

If they only hammer at that somebody will have a bargain. It will not be me mind, wrong side of the border for me.

I have not gone to the auction site, because I have no intention of bidding on them, but I assume that he is 32588, Pte Samuel Pallett of the 13th (Service) Bn. Yorks & Lancs - KIA 12.04.1918. Born Sheffield, Resided Sheffield, Enlisted Pontefract. Son of the late Samuel and Sarah Jane Pallett, of 12, Manvers Rd., Sheffield; husband of Nelly Pallett, of 29, Harcourt Rd., Sheffield.

I hope they find a good home, where they will be treasured, appreciated and preserved for future generations.

Mike

my guess, 2nd battle of Lys , and a resale price in a dealers of £200-250.

nice to have the paperwork and pictures, at the estimate would be worth a punt but Yate on tomorrow and might find something there.

Dear All,

Interesting that the ribbons have been transposed.

The BWM has an incorrect Victory Medal ribbon, and the Victory Medal has an incorrect BWM ribbon!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

45 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

Interesting that the ribbons have been transposed.

The BWM has an incorrect Victory Medal ribbon, and the Victory Medal has an incorrect BWM ribbon!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

That's actually something you see quite regularly. The great British public seem to have no concept that medals have specific ribbons, and it isn't purely a "civilian" thing either.

I remember several years ago arranging to meet a member of WW2 RAF Bomber crew with a view to mounting his medals for him. It didn't go according to plan because I was delayed at work, and then rushed over to my appointment with him neglecting to take my framing samples with me. I think they thought I was some kind of incompetent eejut until they produced the medals.

"Who mounted these for you?" I asked.

"Why?"

"Well, that ones wrong, and that one, and they are all in the wrong order"

At that point the wife sheepishly put her hand up, and we all became the best of friends.

On another occasion I mounted a WW2 MM group for wear. When I took them back the bloke (the original recipient) said that I had them all the wrong way around because the King's head was showing on all of them. I ended up giving him Spink's phone number and asking him to call them so that they could verify that I was correct. Even after that he still wanted them re-doing the way he wanted them - but he paid for them to be redone. He was a lovely bloke, 3rd Carabiniers, patrolled the Khyber Pass on horseback in the pay of the Empire before the war. Became an acting Captain in the 7th Gurkha Rifles, and "won" his MM at Kohima. It was a fine looking rack. MM at one end and 2 bar 1936 IGS at the other. Not a speciality, but I can't recall ever having held another 2 bar 1936 IGS to a European recipient in my hands. In fact, come to think of it, I can't remember ever holding another medal named to the 3rd Carabiniers.

For the curious, his name was George Cowton.

Regards,

Mike

Lot 1067 A framed bronze death plaque for Samuel Pallett with associated medals and ephemera.

£160

Edited by Ellis1918

On 26/11/2018 at 10:26, Ellis1918 said:

Lot 1067 A framed bronze death plaque for Samuel Pallett with associated medals and ephemera.

£160

Thanks for the update.