Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am trying to discover the location of 34 CCs on 17.3.1917 as my great uncle was admitted there on that date.

The entry (Location of Casualty Clearing Stations) on the Long Long Trail website  states that 34 CCS was at Grovetown from 14.9.16 - 16.4.17, when it moved to La Chapellette, near Peronne (Somme), Where was Grovetown ? I guess it was not very far away, in the Somme area, as my uncle was with 3 Coy. 1st Grenadiers in that area ?

There is a Grove Town cemetery on CWGC

That is in Somme just south of Albert.

hope it helps

regards

Jon

Hi,

In the 3 Field Ambulance (Guards Division) war diary, against the entry for 1st March 1917, it shows the following map reference...

image.png.e4684fac073676c09e6ce66b1bd52e3e.png

Image source: Ancestry.co.uk

If I've got the correct map, this link should open up on a map (from 1918) with square F.25 in the centre. The transparency slider can be used to see how it fits with the modern landscape. I guess that the CCS would have been in the vicinity.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

• 2 weeks later...

At the National Archive there is a War Diary for 34th CCS, WO 95/415 whilst at Grovetown. They also have No.34 CCS Dangerously Ill Cases, MH 106/775 and Admission and Discharge Books for 34th CCS, MH 106/716; you will need to check for the relevant dates to find the exact file. I've recently been made aware by a Forum member that Find My Past have some National Archive medical records on their web-site and the above might be found there. I don't have a subscription to check, perhaps someone could confirm whether they are available on FMP. The War Diary can be downloaded from the National Archive for £3.50. The War Diary does name deaths but not admissions, both of these can be found in the Admissions and Discharge Books. I have visited Grovetown CWGC and have a photograph or two if it helps (not all the graves though).

Example of MH 106/716 below.

Chris - Thanks for the map reference, I've been looking for confirmation for some time.

Alan

34 CCS ADB.jpg

Edited by alantwo

• 2 months later...
On 03/12/2018 at 18:07, alantwo said:

At the National Archive there is a War Diary for 34th CCS, WO 95/415 whilst at Grovetown. They also have No.34 CCS Dangerously Ill Cases, MH 106/775 and Admission and Discharge Books for 34th CCS, MH 106/716; you will need to check for the relevant dates to find the exact file. I've recently been made aware by a Forum member that Find My Past have some National Archive medical records on their web-site and the above might be found there. I don't have a subscription to check, perhaps someone could confirm whether they are available on FMP. The War Diary can be downloaded from the National Archive for £3.50. The War Diary does name deaths but not admissions, both of these can be found in the Admissions and Discharge Books. I have visited Grovetown CWGC and have a photograph or two if it helps (not all the graves though).

Example of MH 106/716 below.

Chris - Thanks for the map reference, I've been looking for confirmation for some time.

Alan

Hi Alan,

That is very interesting. My Great Grandfather was admitted to Grove Town on 4th October 1916 and died the following day. I hoped that some sort of record of Admissions was still in existence and your posting proves there is. I live in France, so a visit to the National Archive is a must when I can next get back to the UK. 

Thank you.

Regards

Paul

34 CCS ADB.jpg

Edited by Paul Bradford

• 3 weeks later...

Hi just to let you know you can access the war diary for 34 CCS on findmypast, with a subscription, have just found the record for my great grandad. 

Does anybody know where I can find information on 280 AT Company?