Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Served

topdeer

I look for two people who I believe to have served in WW1 there names are George Harry Renshaw Born 1888 Rugby Died 1944 Mother: Alice Mary Renshaw Father: James Renshaw. The other one Frank Renshaw Born: 1900 Coventry Mother: Louise Renshaw Father: George Alfred Renshaw. That is all I have to go on no number or Regiment.

Not sure you can deduce that they did not serve from not being on the AVL. Could have been discharged prior to the taking of the roll, not have registered to vote, moved out of area, etc

PS Where did you find the AVLs for these towns?

Edited by Mark1959

If they lived in Rugby they would of signed up for Warwickshire Regiment as that would of been the nears town/city 

I would of thought so.

Men were put into regiments where they were needed not neccessarily their local or county one,

1 minute ago, topdeer said:

If they lived in Rugby they would of signed up for Warwickshire Regiment as that would of been the nears town/city 

I would of thought so.

Not necessarily so, two great uncles served with kilted Scottish regiments.... they were Yorkshire fellas from Sheffield. You cannot deduce that they didn’t serve because their names don’t appear on an AVL, men needed to be 21 to vote in 1918, 19 if you were serving in the armed forces. Local papers can be a great source of information, any family photos, stories, wedding/birth certificates etc can also be consulted